The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
What I am doing now

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Aug 22, 2009 11:59 PM by Michele Simionato

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Michele Simionato

Nickname: micheles

What I am doing now (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 9:22 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
This summer I have been quite silent on Artima. Here is an update of what I have done and what I plan to do in the future.
Advertisement

In the latest couple of months I have been quite silent on Artima; actually, I have only published episode #30 of my Adventures which was originally written a long time ago. The main reason is the Italian summer: with a temperature of 35 degrees Celsius (95 Fahrenheit) I do not feel very motivated to write and I spend my weekends on the beach. Also, I spent a couple of weeks of vacation in Montreal in July (and it was really cool there, in the literal sense of the world!). Plus, I discovered A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. I bought all the currently published volumes (in the French edition, which means 12 volumes for a total of 5,000+ pages) and I read of all them in four weeks. I used to read a lot when I was young, but in the latest ten years or so I have nearly stopped reading fiction: I had already read all the classics and I could not find recent things worth reading. But Martin is good.

I have not been completely lazy this summer, and I have found the time to upload a new release of my decorator module to PyPI. Actually, I had to upload it twice. My first attempt (release 3.1.0) was accidentally breaking Pylons. The problem was immediately reported (thanks to Gabriel de Perthuis!) and fixed the day after. You are encouraged to download release 3.1.1 and to forget about 3.1.0. There are various internal changes but not many user level changes, except the addition of a new convenient API to dynamically generate functions (FunctionMaker.create). This is mostly intended for framework authors. For instance in SQLAlchemy there is a machinery to instrument classes, which involves adding properties corresponding to database columns and also redefining the constructor __init__, by preserving the original signature. This is done without using the decorator module, but using the same techniques. If you want to play this kind of games, FunctionMaker.create will simplify your life a lot. You can find examples of use in the documentation, so I will not insist on it here. Instead, I will comment on an user request I had two months ago from David Laban. He wanted an easy to define decorator factories. I have thought a lot about that - I had the same request before, I implemented a solution in version 2.3 and removed it in version 3.0 - but at the end I have decided not to include the feature. The reasons are that I want to keep the API small and that I do not want to add even mor magic. Moreover, I am strong believer in the "there must be only one way" mantra. Finally, it is not difficult to define decorator factories with the current functionality anyway. So, I have added to the documentation a recipe (actually a one-liner) to implement decorator factories on top of the pre-existing functionality.

What about the Adventures of a Pythonista in Schemeland? I am taking a pause from them for a while, to recover my energy. My blog never wanted to be Scheme-only. I have updated the table of contents and uploaded the full PDF version on my site. This is the good moment to re-read the Adventures if you have lost the pace and need some time to digest all the material I have published until now. I must also think about how to continue the series. A few weeks ago Kent Dybvig released the fourth edition of The Scheme Programming Language which is updated to R6RS Scheme. I have to read to book, since it makes no sense for me to talk about things which are already covered there. Anyway, I still have a lot of things to write and soon or later I will resume the publications (hopefully with a more clement weather). BTW, there are important news in the Scheme world: just today the Steering Committee for the next version of Scheme (R7RS) made a statement about their vision for the Scheme language evolution. You can find it here. A few relevant excerpts tell everything:

• A programming language stays healthy and vibrant by virtue of being used. When it comes to using Scheme, however, the Scheme community has rarely missed an opportunity to miss an opportunity

• We believe that one primary purpose of a programming language is to program

• Scheme has the unhappy distinction of being the world's most unportable programming language

• We believe the diversity of constituencies justifies the design of two separate but compatible languages, which we will (for now) call "small" and "large" Scheme

• Small Scheme

• Constituencies: educators, casual implementors, researchers, embedded languages, "50-page" purists
    • Think "IEEE/R5RS brought up to the current date."
    • ~ 90% supermajority to be required for final ratification
  • Large Scheme

• Constituencies: programmers, implementors
    • Think "R6RS with a happier outcome."
    • ~ 75% supermajority to be required for final ratification

All this makes a lot of sense to me. I hope the editors will make a better job than what was done with the R6RS. Still, I am always skeptical when it comes to languages designed by committed. See the following worlds from Marc Feeley when we spoke in person at the EuroLisp Symposium in Milan:

I do not believe in languages designed by committee [Marc Feeley, appointed member of the R7RS Scheme committee]

mike bayer

Nickname: zzzeek

Re: What I am doing now Posted: Aug 22, 2009 8:37 PM
I would direct you to http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/ticket/1152 where we discussed moving over to the decorator module. Since your new features seem to at least partially have SQLAlchemy in mind, if we can in fact make a clean switch to decorator fully this is a good time to do so, as we're getting ready to release beta versions of 0.6. I'll have a look soon !

Michele Simionato

Nickname: micheles

Re: What I am doing now Posted: Aug 22, 2009 11:59 PM
I did not know you were considering moving to the decorator module.

I read (part of) the source code of SQLAlchemy some times ago
and I saw that you were basically using the same approach of
the decorator module. I have always been curious if this was
an accident - I know of at least another guy reinventing the same
thing in an independent way - or if you simply adapted the
decorator module - the Turbogears guys did that in the past.

Anyway, if you are worried about the stability and reliability
of the decorator module, stop worrying: its basic functionality
is unchanged since day one and I never had any complaint
or bug report. The only accidental breaking ever happenened
the other day and it was solved in 24 hours. Version 3.0 had more
than 16,000 downloads in eight months, probably because it is
included in Pylons, so that lots of people are using it,
without knowing it, I guess.

I do not have much use cases for the decorator module myself, so that
I have little motivation to add new features and there are relatively
few releases. Recently we started a large refactoring project at work,
involving mapping all our database tables with SQLAlchemy objects, and
I had to generate dozens of business classes with custom __init__
methods. I decided to enhance decorator.FunctionMaker to do that for
me. This is the real motivation for version 3.1. After that, while
debugging some code and by looking at the source code of SQLAlchemy in
attributes._generate_init, I saw that you could make good use of
FunctionMaker.create too. This is the reason for the remark in my
blog post.

BTW, if you find that the decorator module is lacking and you need
some additional feature to make it easier the integration with SQLAlchemy,
let's talk about it. If a small change can make my users happier, and
it is not against the philosophy of the decorator module I am willing
to implement it.

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: Know Your Materials Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Specs Without Tests Are Meaningless

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use