The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Style is Substance

44 replies on 3 pages. Most recent reply: Oct 28, 2012 11:43 AM by Hans Scundal

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 44 replies on 3 pages [ 1 2 3 | » ]
Ken Arnold

Nickname: arnold

Style is Substance (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Oct 6, 2004 8:33 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
... wherein I decide that, with winter a-cumin in, it's time for a lot of heat, so I venture into the programming language equivalent of TV Wresteling: coding style...
Advertisement

I'm sure this will cause me no end of grief, but I'm about to confess publicly here that I am a heretic. (In this particular case I'm only confessing to heresy in computer language design. Other heresy confessions will have to await another time.)

I'll state it right out: For almost any mature language (C, Java, C++, Python, Lisp, Ada, FORTRAN, Python, Smalltalk, sh, javascript, ...) coding style is an essentially solved problem, and we ought to stop worrying about it. And to stop worrying about it will require worrying about it a lot first, because the only way to get from where we are to a place where we stop worrying about style is to enforce it as part of the language.

Yup. I'm really saying that. I'm saying that, for example, the next ANSI C update should define the standard K&R C programming style into the language grammar. Programs that use any new features should be required to be in K&R style or be rejected by the compiler as syntactically illegal.

I'm gonna pause here. When I was talking about this on a mailing list I had to go through this several times. People didn't quite get me because they didn't quite believe someone was saying this. I mean this quite literally. For example, I want the next C grammar to define that a space comes between any keyword and an opening parenthesis. "if (foo)" would be legal, but "if(foo)" would not. Not a warning, not optionally checked, but actually forbidden by the language parser. Flat out illegal. Can't compile.

Here is the logic in its most simple form:

Premise 1: For any given language, there are one or a few common coding styles.
Typically one is set by the founder(s) or earliest documenter, but others will evolve over time. But even for C there are only a handful of commonly used styles, ignoring trivial variations.
Premise 2: There is not now, nor will there ever be, a programming style whose benefit is significantly greater than any of the common styles.
Get real. Discovering a style that improves your productivity or code quality by more than a few percent over the common styles is about as likely as discovering a new position for sex. [Astronauts need not apply, unless they want to invite me along.]
Premise 3: Approximately a gaboozillion cycles are spent on dealing with coding style variations.
Think about it: How many reformatter/pretty-printers projects are there on sourceforge alone? How many options does any given IDE (including emacs) have for formatting code? How many cycles are spent deciding on a style, documenting it, enforcing it, and updating it? How many history logs for CVS, Clearcase, etc., have a lot of noise from varying format changes? How many brain cycles are spent on arguing about this topic?
Premise 4: For any non-trivial project, a common coding style is a good thing.
I really think this is pretty well agreed on. How constraining the style is varies, but having several folks hacking on the same code with conflicting coding styles introduces more pain than any single style imposes on any single person. Every project I know of has a style, if not spelled out at least by custom.
Conclusion: Thinking of all the code in the entire world as a single "project" with a single style, we would get more value than we do by allowing for variations in style.

Think of it. All the programming examples in one style. Web pages, journals, papers, emails use one style. Reformatting issues gone. Arguments over whose style is better gone. Reformatters a quaint historical artifact.

And most of all: No More Style Wars! Really! Think of all those cycles that we could then plow into something more productive, like vi/emacs wars! Or world peace! Or a really good chocolate cookie recipe! You choose!

Of course, you will never enforce any style globally unless people have literally no choice. How many C programmers use during as a stylistic preference to while? (Preprocessor abusers need not apply. On second thought, please do: We need to identify you for our eugenics program.) Or skip the parens around an if clause? They don't because they can't. You know they would if they could. The thing that stops these "personal styles" is that the C compiler will not accept them. If you can't compile your code you fix it. It's so simple it's stupid. And therefore it works.

So I want the owners of standards for established languages to take this up. I want the next version of these languages to require any code that uses new features to conform to some style. Let the standards committees gnash and snarl and wring their hands over which of the common styles is the winner. Sell tickets. We all get to comment and the langauge lawyer standards geeks decide. We know where they'll go -- C will go to K&R; C++ will go with Bjarne's style (excuse me while I cringe); Java will go with the Sun style as shown in the language spec and most of the Java books from Sun (including mine); Lisp style is almost already set mostly in stone. Perl is a vast swamp of lexical and syntactic swill and nobody knows how to format even their own code well, but it's the only major language I can think of (with the possible exception of the recent, yet very Java-like C#) that doesn't have at least one style that's good enough.

Some things are either uncheckable (Hungarian notation, using "get" and "set" method prefixes) or not widely agreed upon (such as import/#include ordering). These can be left for future standards. Or not. The owners of the the standard decide. But whatever they do, they should set the style and build it into the actual freakin' grammar.

This heresy encompasses one major sub-heresy: That whitespace should matter.

Most style rules have to do with the placement of whitespace: newlines before or after curly braces, white space around operators or not, etc. So I'm saying that languages should indeed care about whitespace. A lot. Yet one of the things we supposedly learned from languages like FORTRAN was that whitespace should only matter to separate tokens. This was accepted wisdom because FORTRAN had columns -- the first five columns were reserved for a statement number or a comment indicator, the sixth column with any character in it meant a continuation of the previous line, seven through 72 where language statements, and the last eight were reserved for sequence numbers useful for re-ordering the card deck if it was dropped. Yes, I mean cards, the physical type, with rectangular holes. Also, DO10I=1,100 was the same as DO 10 I = 1, 100 because DO was a keyword followed by a number and so the space wasn't required, although it made DO10I=1 interesting, as that assigned 1 to a variable named DO10I.

I lived this ugliness, so I feel the pain. But all it really proved was that FORTRAN's whitespace rules sucked. License to put whitespace anywhere has proven to be expensive and cycle-wasting in practice. We're not editing on punched cards anymore, and reformatters are as common as spam. We can use this power -- type code however you want to but before you compile it, reformat it (or reformat on the fly, whatever).

In the end, this requires only that editors and IDEs used by coders will let the user type stuff and it will make it look right. This is basically just reformatting on the fly, which many editors already do. We don't need you to type zero, one or seventeen spaces between an if and its open paren, we just need the editor (assuming K&R C) to put exactly one space there. And getting even this right will be easier if there is only one style to worry about. It's one of those things that those reformatting or style adapting cycles can go to.

Basically, freedom for formatting style has proven extremely expensive, and does not deliver much value for cost. Think of it this way: Could you honestly fill in the following:

I, [insert name here], know of a programming style whose impact on programmer productivity and/or program quality is large enough that my freedom to choose it over any major common style validates the programmer productivity and investment used industry wide in arguing about style, imposing style, and reformatting to match styles. That style is [insert style description here] and its benefits are [insert benefits here].

Or even the less demanding:

I, [insert name here], know of a programming style whose impact on programmer productivity and/or program quality is >= 5% when compared to any major common style. That style is [insert style description here] and its benefits are [insert benefits here].

I think you will mostly get snickers even suggesting that this can be filled out. And even on a single project you can spend 5% on coding style issues -- mostly up front, but it's a continuous bleeding as style wars crop up over things as yet undefined; new tools are suggested, written, or integrated; people forget to put it in the right style and then it gets corrected and pollutes the change history; training new people in the style; disciplining engineers who are uncooperative; and just general bitching, whining and moaning.

So 5% doesn't even touch the opportunity and other costs associated with not having a mandated style across all the code in the world.

Or if you prefer the question the other way 'round: What benefits do we get from freedom of style that outweighs the cost we pay for it?

To me the answer seems obvious: Nowhere near enough.

Bruce Hoult

Nickname: brucehoult

Re: Style is Substance Posted: Oct 6, 2004 9:55 PM
It doesn't work for languages that don't have a fixed grammar, such as
Dylan or Lisp.  This is important because it is where the next big jump
in programmer productivity is probably going to come from.

The main problem is automatically determining the proper indentaion
level for some (but not all) intermediate words such as "elseif" or
"private" in newly-defined control structures.

Other than that problem (which can probably be solved) I'm all in favour of saying that anyone is entitled to go mark-whole-buffer indent-region using the appropriate emacs mode and checking the result in.

Martin Rosén-Lidholm

Nickname: totte500

Re: Style is Substance Posted: Oct 7, 2004 2:27 AM
I agree 100% that that kind of support for coding styles would benefit the economics of the software industry.

// Martin Rosén-Lidholm

PS I’d like to add, due to the quote “with the possible exception of
the recent [...] C#”, that I find Juval Löwy’s coding standard for C# very valuable.

Girts Kalnins

Nickname: smejmoon

Re: Style is Substance Posted: Oct 7, 2004 5:34 AM
First, You somehow manage to put in one page that how it looks does not matter and "radical hypothesis that programmers are human".

Secondly I have two examples.
We do use vertical and horisontal whitespace to signify importance of parts of code. If you don't do this you lose ability of visual distinction.

zero=0;one=1;
counter = 0;

someMinorObject->action();
anotherMinorObject->anotherAction();

majorStuff(); //so important that even intention is commented

minorStuffAgain();
andAgain();

When you write some tables(other data structures), it does matter how you layout them.

ticTacToeSetup1[] = {0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0};
ticTacToeSetup2[] = 
{0,1,0,1,
0,1,0,1,0};
ticTacToeSetup3[] = 
{0,1,0,
 0,1,0};

Now if these examples does not explain what I tried to say, either tic tac toe does not mean much to you or visual arrangement or I'll have to take more English classes. Probably most of that :)

Graham King

Nickname: grahamking

Re: Style is Substance Posted: Oct 7, 2004 6:01 AM
I whole-heartedly agree.

For Java, Sun both wrote the compiler and the coding standard, and the standard existed from the very beginning, so there really is no debate on the big issues.

Yet this compiles:

public class test {

private static String
MyString = "Hello";

public static final void main(String[
] ARGS)
{ System.out.println(MyString); }
}

Maybe in Java 1.5.1 (or 5.1) we could have the enforcement as a flag (say -Xcheckstyle) and make it permanent in java 1.6 ?

Chris Dailey

Nickname: mouse

Re: Style is Substance Posted: Oct 7, 2004 7:37 AM
How about a language that has no formatting built in, and it's up to the IDE to present the code in a formatted way?

I agree that there should never have to be a revision due to code formatting changes.

Girts Kalnins

Nickname: smejmoon

Re: Style is Substance Posted: Oct 7, 2004 7:39 AM
There will always be some marginal cases. You can enforce formating before checkin(commit and even after taking sources from repository.

Or make desktop icon 'Fix formatting for all my sources'.

But we should be allowed to do better than standards. Becouse of some (thousands) people whose code we don't like, we should not restrict all of programmers.

stas kubasek

Nickname: stas

Re: Style is Substance Posted: Oct 7, 2004 7:45 AM
I agree with the author. Having so many styles makes programming more confusing, especially for entry-level programmers. Just look at it, one book advocates one style, another book advocates a different one, etc. How is he or she not feel confused? Which style is better? If we only have one style, and enforce it, that new programmer can concentrate on different aspects of that language. It makes things easier. For all of us, really.

I've been programming for a couple years now and I'm still trying to find the best style. I would be happy to have that aspect eliminated.

Tommy Svensson

Nickname: tompa

Re: Style is Substance Posted: Oct 7, 2004 10:14 AM
Bulls eye - agreed!

I've just joined a new team, and therefore I'm now using their coding guidelines. I'm convinced to 110% that it is a Good Thing that a team uses one agreed-upon coding style. So everything should be just fine, right?

Well, no. This team's guideline has a couple of extremely annoying and inexplicable rules squezed into an otherwise decent guideline document.

The most annoying rule says that "there MUST be NO spaces between any keyword and an opening parenthesis"!! Sigh. Or rather @#£¤$%&*#. It is rules like this which gives the coding guidelines a bad reputation, I guess. Pity poor me...

Therefore, despite of in-house programming style guideline documents, or maybe because of those amateurishly put together guidelines, I *may* welcome a style guideline defined and enforced by the language standard. I say may because it is important that such an enforcement of style as part of the language has the strongest support from the community. Of course.

I wonder if there are any style comparsions put together? Pointers to urls, articles and books are much welcome!
For example, can I find the most popular styles in C, for example, lined up side by side somewhere?

/Tommy

PS. I'm really looking forward to the forthcoming book "C++ Coding Standards" by Herb Sutter and Andrei Alexandrescu.

Nathan Carpenter

Nickname: ncarpenter

Re: Style is Substance Posted: Oct 7, 2004 10:31 AM
I agree, and I've always thought this would be extremely powerful, especially when doing collaborative programming.

Let's face it; everyone likes to see code in their own favorite way. If it was stored in a standardized format, but *your* IDE automatically formatted it so you could see it in your style, it would accomplish a lot.

No more CVS headaches when somebody "accidentally" reformats the entire project, for example.

Michael Abato

Nickname: maengden

Re: Style is Substance Posted: Oct 7, 2004 10:41 AM
I don't think you've gone quite far enough. I think the language specification should specify the infoset of the language rather than the syntax. This makes the relaxed vs. tight syntax debate moot.

[Aside: this closely parallels the "XML sux" thread that also showed up on Artima today - what is the best way to parse content (and its copyright) and presentation layers - I'm trying to be nonpartisan here]

By the infoset, I mean the logical structure of the construct, ie: IF has a {condition} and a {block}. No approved syntax, just structure. Not XML, though that might be a fine way to persist a program without "whitespace" issues. As I remember, RDF is defined this way.

In this way, the syntax of the program would be one of many, not all of which would have to be complete. Much like the language-VM relationship underlying Java, C#, et. al.

Then a language product (eg: java) would issue one or more syntaxes on top of the language, including painfully tight ones such as you've proposed, and a given project/effort could adopt one (or choose to argue forever ;-) A professional group (as in mature and with the beat, not commercial) would adopt the rigorous norm.

Representation transformers would then have the same advantages as in VM's, pcode, and what not: they only have to be one way, text to object or object to text, rather than one style convention to another.

Wow, and I thought the naive idealist in me had died a while ago...I'm going back to go waste some time adjusting the magic formatting options in my IDE...

Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Re: Style is Substance Posted: Oct 7, 2004 12:20 PM
> I don't think you've gone quite far enough. I think the
> language specification should specify the infoset of the
> language rather than the syntax. This makes the relaxed
> vs. tight syntax debate moot.
>
This is the image I got when talking to Gosling about his project Jackpot, in which the notion of program truth is not text, but an annotated parse tree--something that was traditionally not built until the compiler compiles. But Gosling wanted to see what kind of things he could do if the IDE kept everything in a parse tree form, and he was able to do some visualization and refactoring stuff. The refactoring sounded like what IntelliJ had been doing for quite a while, but the really interesting conceptual leap I got from the conversation was that maybe future languages could be defined not as a text syntax but as some kind of data structure.

This would allow a Model/View separation, in which the model was defined as a standard, and different people could write and view the program in ways that fit their personalities. I was concerned that this would mean the actual saved program would be binary, and I asked Gosling how Jackpot saved programs. He said it is saved in Java code.

I don't think I ended up publishing this part of the conversation, but I asked him about how he deals with comments, then, because they aren't part of the syntax. He said comments were among the hardest part for him to work with. So one thing languages in the future could do that would help is define comments as first class parts of the syntax, not as text to stripped off before parsing. But if you can figure out a way to deal with the comments, you could create a Java IDE that does this today. (I believe Jackpot is now part of NetBeans, so maybe it already exists today in some form.)

That Gosling interview is here:

http://www.artima.com/intv/jackpot.html

The other comment I would make about enforcing style at the language level is that no matter what style you choose, some people won't like it. And although it would help the economy probably if everyone adopted the same style, some people may just choose a different language whose enforced style better fits their taste. So it won't necessarily help you market your language, and I doubt it would end user complaints about style. Instead of complaining about others' style, they'll complain about the language's style.

Python uses indentation to determine blocks, and I like that a lot, but I know others who hate that. Nevertheless, Python does go a bit in the direction Ken talked about in his weblog, and I think Python programmers benefit from it. One time over breakfast with Bruce Eckel I wondered if Python didn't go far enough, if a language should enforce even down to the number of spaces between an if and an open paren. I suggested we invent a new language to try this idea out, and proposed we call it ARL, for Anal-Retentive Language.

But my opinion today is that this kind of thing is better done by making comments a first class syntax citizen, and then letting programmers use tools to view and edit the program in whatever way works for their personality and situation. The saved form of the program (the "model") could be specified as Ken suggests, down to the number spaces between if and (.

phil jones

Nickname: interstar

Re: Style is Substance Posted: Oct 7, 2004 3:04 PM
(Bill, re: Jackpot. You might find interesting to compare this : http://www.third-bit.com/~gvwilson/xmlprog.html )

re the main post ... my main problem with layout standards is that they are indirectly a constraint on the whole development environment of the programmer. A standard which is right for a 21 inch desktop may not be right for a 15 inch laptop. Maybe I prefer to split my Emacs window vertically and you prefer to split it horizontally.

Is this just the first step towards a standard IDE and computer? Are they gonna try to take Emacs away from me?

Michael Feathers

Nickname: mfeathers

Re: Style is Substance Posted: Oct 7, 2004 3:31 PM
It's a good idea, but I think that there more important fish to fry if we start tweeking language rules. Imagine how much better code would look if C++/Java/C# compilers no longer accepted more than 5-7 statements per method.

Rick Kitts

Nickname: rkitts

Re: Style is Substance Posted: Oct 7, 2004 3:47 PM
Look, it's a well stated point. Good conception and articulation. I get it. But the way you layed out the bold text, the length of the lines in some of the paragraphs, and your use of a space between periods and the start of the next sentence...

Flat View: This topic has 44 replies on 3 pages [ 1  2  3 | » ]
Topic: Service Locator Pattern Revisited, Part 2 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: SOAP is Comatose But Not Officially Dead!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use