The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Heron just got Slashdotted

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Dec 9, 2004 11:27 AM by Christopher Diggins

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Christopher Diggins

Nickname: cdiggins

Heron just got Slashdotted (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Dec 9, 2004 8:48 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
I finally got an article posted to Slashdot.org on Heron. This is a very nice boost in visibility for the language.
Advertisement
I finally got a post on Heron accepted at Slashdot.org, which has generated a fair amount of traffic. This is good, because generating interest and even simple awareness of a new unproven programming language is very hard!

There is quite a bit of negative feedback, which even though it is unpleasant doesn't really deter me much. Half of the negative comments seem to be based on the fact that many programmers don't appreciate static typing.

Not all comments are negative though, as a poster named Crimsane said:

The gaps between C/C++/[c#|java] are pretty hefty, perhaps this will be a good language to know when you want something inbetween.

Part of the problem is that there are very few programmers with a broad enough background to appreciate Heron. Without some appreciation of techniques like Design by Contract, Aspect Oriented Programming, Template Metaprogramming, etc., I think it is very hard to appreciate what Heron is all about.

I think the other problem is that people evaluate Heron in five minutes or less. This is kind of infuriating, but I think probably unavoidable. It would take someone with a real flair for hyperbole, and marketing gimmickry to make Heron look great on first glance.

Glen Ritchie

Nickname: gmanndsu

Re: Heron just got Slashdotted Posted: Dec 9, 2004 10:07 AM
You're right.

Most programmers don't "try to hard," to learn new things. Especially languages.

I applaud your efforts and thank you for creating something new and useful.

Christopher Diggins

Nickname: cdiggins

Re: Heron just got Slashdotted Posted: Dec 9, 2004 11:27 AM
Thanks Glen! Encouragement is exceedingly rare, and much appreciated :-)

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: Object Oriented Template Library ( OOTL ) version 0.1 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Are Weblogs an Incarnation of Lifestreams?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use