The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Java Generics: Let The Other Shoe Drop

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
Java Generics: Let The Other Shoe Drop Posted: Jan 20, 2007 1:53 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: Java Generics: Let The Other Shoe Drop
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

(Via the original GJ: Generic Java page)

Guy Steele on GJ: GJ is an excellent design and implementation for adding generic types to the Java programming language. It provides a workable and practical facility for the immediate future that can solve many of today's problems in programming and debugging. In the long term, I would hope to see it compatibly extended to carry run-time type parameter information in the manner that Robert Cartwright and I have proposed; but even if that does not occur, GJ as it is currently designed is a useful and workable tool that deserves widespread study and use.

Guy Steele (quoted from e-mail, with permission)

My recent reading of the O'Reilly book Java Generics and Collections convinced me that Java generics is too much trouble for too little gain for the average Java developer like me.

Eric commented "This is too hard. Sigh." And I agree. And in my frustration I posted a comment to the Java.net poll on What one feature would you most like to see in JDK 7?:

Me: My biggest wish for a future version of Java, not necessarily Java 7, is to have the other half of Java generics (runtime support for generic types) implemented, thus removing the need for erasure.

I believe I'm not alone in this desire.

Thinking that what I hoped might be just a common Java language user's fantasy that is not doable in reality, I did some search on The Google on the topic. And what did I find?:

• That it's not a mere fantasy of a mere language user
  • That a run-time type parameter information proposal has been on the table since 1998
  • That one of its authors is none other than Guy L Steele, Jr.

I couldn't read the proposal but I did find the quote at the beginning of this post.

So I believe I'm standing on very firm ground when I yell:

ERASE ERASURE!!!

Read: Java Generics: Let The Other Shoe Drop

Topic: IntelliJ IDEA and TeamCity: The Jolt Finalists Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Eclipse vs. Netbeans (recurrent consideration)

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use