The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
To remember when repairing an old machine offsite

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Chris Winters

Nickname: cwinters

Daytime: Java hacker; nighttime: Perl hacker; sleeptime: some of both.
To remember when repairing an old machine offsite Posted: Dec 1, 2003 6:10 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Chris Winters.
Original Post: To remember when repairing an old machine offsite
Feed Title: cwinters.com
Feed URL: http://www.cwinters.com/search/registrar.php?domain=jroller.com®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: Chris Winters on Java, programming and technology, usually in that order.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Chris Winters
Latest Posts From cwinters.com

Advertisement
Over the last week and a half I've been hooking my mother-in-law up with net access. After never touching a computer in her life she's had an old machine (Pentium-200/Win98) for the last month or so and we figured she was comfortable enough with it to get online. (Thru Telerama because they provide my DSL and I've had a good, trouble-free experience with them.) I built the machine from spare parts; the only hardware we purchased was a monitor and mouse. It was easier to build the machine than install Win98 SE, but it eventually worked.

I figured it would be a slamdunk. Hook up my external modem to a serial port, point Windows at it and dial away. Unfortunately I didn't test out the serial ports when building the computer and I paid for it. In this first attempt at dialup I wrestled with many, many different configurations of the serial ports only to find that none of them worked. I vaguely remembered that the motherboard manufacturer, Tyan, was extremely picky about certain cables, and a little slow googling (using the Powerbook I brought along) showed that serial cables were a big problem. I had marked the serial cables with a 'T' when I unpacked them, but they still refused to work.

This leads to our first entry:

Rule one: test all your ports when it's easiest, not when you're trying to install something.

I planned to either replace the motherboard (ick) or buy a serial card when a co-worker came to the rescue with a spare PCI internal modem. Hooray! So I went back to her house with the new piece of hardware, a few extra cables and screws, and the Powerbook. Unfortunately I assumed that Win98 would have the driver, and I assumed wrong. Again using the PB I found the driver on the highly annoying DriverGuide site. But since the PB smartly (tho unfortunately) ditched the floppy drive, and I didn't have any networking cables or extra CDs I couldn't get the driver from the PB to the PC! Foiled again!

Rule two: bring a crossover cable, or at least a patch cable and minihub

Rule three: bring appropriate blank and/or writable media.

Rule four: learn the driver status of hardware before installing.

I burned a copy of the driver to a CD (also marking the first CD burned from the PB, thankyouverymuch) and went back the following day to TCB. Fortunately everything worked exactly as it should have -- the modem was detected by the driver which installed properly and, after a reboot, the computer dialed up and got on the internet. Success!

Now we just need to teach Betty what the Internet is...

Read: To remember when repairing an old machine offsite

Topic: PATROL Express 3.0 Review Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Oracle Workspace Manager

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use