The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
My Hip New Workflow with HipChat

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Mathias Bogaert

Nickname: pathos

Mathias Bogaert is a senior software architect at Intrasoft mainly doing projects for the EC.
My Hip New Workflow with HipChat Posted: May 2, 2012 9:05 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Mathias Bogaert.
Original Post: My Hip New Workflow with HipChat
Feed Title: Scuttlebutt
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/AtlassianDeveloperBlog
Feed Description: tech gossip by mathias
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Mathias Bogaert
Latest Posts From Scuttlebutt

Advertisement
I’m not a huge fan of most notifications, especially the ones that vie for my constant attention — like badge notifications on my iPhone. However, there is a time and place for focused and timely notifications that have increased my productivity. Many people who’ve never used HipChat before are quick to dismiss it as a simple group chat application. However, once you use it, it becomes apparent that it’s a lot more than a group chat app. One of my favorite features of HipChat is the ability to bring in relevant notifications into your team’s room. Here’s an example of a notification coming from JIRA: JIRA’s workflow engine is highly flexible and can be tuned to whatever process you want to support regardless if you’re managing issues, requests, or tasks. We built a JIRA plugin for HipChat that binds to JIRA’s workflow engine (using Post Functions) to allow JIRA project admins to subscribe to any workflow transitions they please. For example, you may not want to notify your team of every issue transition, but maybe just the ones marked with a high or blocker status. In our Developer Relations room, we find that notifications from Twitter and Zendesk are highly useful for responding to questions or comments by developers in our ecosystem. This is possible through a SAAS based integration service by Zapier. In other rooms, some teams like to see commit notifications from Bitbucket and Fisheye as well as build notifications from Bamboo… we have plugins for those too: I’ve seen other teams use HipChat notifications to alert them of new product orders/subscriptions that come in. This is all possible through HipChat’s simple REST API. Although, before you attempt to integrate something with HipChat, check to see if that integration already exists on HipChat’s catalog of existing integrations — all 38 of them! If the integration you’re looking for doesn’t exist, the REST API is as simple as… POST /v1/rooms/message?format=json&auth_token=token HTTP/1.1 Host: api.hipchat.com Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded Content-Length: 138 room_id=10&from=Alerts&message=A+new+user+signed+up These are just a few great productivity boosters you can use for your teams on HipChat. Of course, there’s also a fun aspect to HipChat including HipChat’s unconventional emoticons. What do you think? Could your team benefit from these type of features? If you use HipChat, care to share with us what you like to do with it, other than chat?

Read: My Hip New Workflow with HipChat

Topic: DBUnit, Spring and Annotations for Database testing Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Using the final keyword on method parameters

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use