The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Difference between this and super keywords in Java

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Javin Paul

Nickname: javinpaul

Javin Paul is Java Programmer working on Finance domain.
Difference between this and super keywords in Java Posted: Jun 23, 2013 1:01 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Javin Paul.
Original Post: Difference between this and super keywords in Java
Feed Title: Java67
Feed URL: http://www.java67.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss
Feed Description: Java and technology tutorials, tips, questions for all programmers.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Javin Paul
Latest Posts From Java67

Advertisement
this and super are two special keywords in Java, which is used to represent current instance of a class and it's super class. Java Programmers often confused between them and not very familiar with there special properties, which is asked at various core Java interviews. Couple of questions, which I remember about this and super keyword is  that, Can we reassign this in Java?  and difference between this and super keyword in Java. Do you want to try that? Ok, I am not giving answer now, rather I will let you know answer at the end of this post. As I said in first line, main difference between this and super in Java is that, this represent current instance of a class, while super represent current instance of parent class. Now where does this and super variables used, well you might have seen examples of calling one constructor from other i.e. constructor chaining, that's achieved by using this and super keyword. You can use this() to call no argument constructor of same class, while super() to call no argument or default constructor of parent class. By the way, call is not limited to only no argument constructor, you can call any constructor by passing appropriate parameters. We will see example of using this and super in a while. Another use of this and super in Java is for accessing instance variables of a class and it's parent. By the way, you can also access them even without prefixing super and this, if they are not ambiguous in current block e.g. if there is no local variable of same name exists in that block, but in case of ambiguity they provide explicit reference and are more readable. Classic example of using this is inside a constructor, which accepts a parameter of same name as an instance variable. In this post, we will learn about more differences between super and this in Java and take a look at some of the use cases.
Read more »

Read: Difference between this and super keywords in Java

Topic: Acceptance Criteria Should be Executable Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Android ExpandableListView with Custom Adapter: BaseExpandableListAdapter

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use