The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Java Enum Code Example - SoftDrinks, How to use Enum in Java

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Javin Paul

Nickname: javinpaul

Javin Paul is Java Programmer working on Finance domain.
Java Enum Code Example - SoftDrinks, How to use Enum in Java Posted: Jul 6, 2013 10:40 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Javin Paul.
Original Post: Java Enum Code Example - SoftDrinks, How to use Enum in Java
Feed Title: Java67
Feed URL: http://www.java67.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss
Feed Description: Java and technology tutorials, tips, questions for all programmers.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Javin Paul
Latest Posts From Java67

Advertisement
Enum is a useful feature of Java and best way to represent fixed number of things e.g. number of planet in solar system, number of state order can be or simply number of days in a week. Java Enum are different than there predecessor on other languages like C and C++, where enum is just a wrapper around integer constant. Enum in Java is a full blown type like class and interface, they can have constructor (though only private constructors are permitted for Enum), they can override methods, they can have member variables, they can even declare methods, can implement interfaces and have specialized high performance Map and Set implementation in form of EnumMap and EnumSet. I have written a lot of articles in Enum, exploring it's different lesser known features and involving some best practices, but several times I receive request for simple Enum examples, and that's why, I am sharing this, one of the most simple example of Enum in Java. In this Enum example, I have used Enum to represent SoftDrink in a convenient store. My Enum class has four types of soft drinks Coke, Pepsi, Soda and Lime. To demonstrate Enum can have constructor and member variables, I have provided them title and price, and to demonstrate Enum can override methods, I have overridden toString() method, which returns custom title passed to each SoftDrink. Apart from custom title, you can also avail implicit name() method of Enum to get an String representation of Enum constant, it returns exact String literal used to declare Enum constant, for example SoftDrink.COKE.name() will return COKE while SoftDrink.COKE.toString() will return Coke here. Let's see the example first and later I will explain some key things about Enum in Java.
Read more ยป

Read: Java Enum Code Example - SoftDrinks, How to use Enum in Java

Topic: Preparing GraphHopper for its first release ... (#Java #OpenStreetMap #Graph) Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Oracle Database 12c review: Finally, a true cloud database

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use