The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
What you need to know about the new git 1.8.4

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Mathias Bogaert

Nickname: pathos

Mathias Bogaert is a senior software architect at Intrasoft mainly doing projects for the EC.
What you need to know about the new git 1.8.4 Posted: Aug 26, 2013 11:31 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Mathias Bogaert.
Original Post: What you need to know about the new git 1.8.4
Feed Title: Scuttlebutt
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/AtlassianDeveloperBlog
Feed Description: tech gossip by mathias
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Mathias Bogaert
Latest Posts From Scuttlebutt

Advertisement
Hey all, it’s Christmas again. Just kidding… But the new git 1.8.4 is out! This time is so packed with awesome that my selection skills have been put hard to the test. It’s easy and painless to upgrade It is customary for me to provide a few pointers for the upgrade, with caveats and reminders that package managers in some cases might delay the distribution; That is out of my hands. In any case here some painless instructions to upgrade: Type brew update && brew upgrade git if you use homebrew on OSX. Use a magic apt trick if on Ubuntu based distributions (i leave other distributions as an exercise for the reader). Simply run the new installer if on Windows (the Windows port sometimes lags a bit behind so please be patient if you can’t find it right away). If you haven’t seen them yet check out my earlier notes on releases 1.8.2 and 1.8.3. So what’s new in this release? The things that caught my eye are: submodule and rebase got some love. Cool refinements for information finding commands: updates to diff, log and status. And more sparse stuff, still awesome. Read further for details and enjoy! Submodule love You can now invoke git submodule commands from subdirectories instead than having to be in the working tree of the superproject and most operations now work also on a submodule at a path whose name is not in ASCII. git submodule update has two new features: It can optionally clone the submodules shallowly. It gained a configuration variable submodule.*.update which allows you to run a custom command when invoked (in alternative to the already present –rebase, –merge options). Rebase coolness: auto-squash, start hook and more git rebase -i now honors –strategy and -X options. git rebase [-i] reflog messages have been reworded to be more informative. using git rebase –autostash you can now save local changes in the stash before the performing the operation. Before this release rebase would just refuse to run. git rebase can be told with :/look for this string syntax commits to replay the changes onto and where the work to be replayed begins. Status, logging and diff-ing power git status gains new configuration variables status.branch and status.short saving you from typing –branch and –short respectively (or complicating your aliases). You can now override the configuration with –no-branch and –no-short if needed. git log has a new –author-date-order which is awesome, with it: The output is topologically sorted and commits in parallel histories are shown intermixed together based on the author timestamp. git diff has a new mode that ignores changes which consists only of additions and removals of blank lines, similar to GNU diff’s -B. git log -Lline,range:filename has been added. This may still have leaks and rough edges, though. Sensible defaults for color.ui The variable color.ui now defaults to auto now so there is no need for new users to set it in their .gitconfig anymore. Other bits on UI, Workflows & Features […]

Read: What you need to know about the new git 1.8.4

Topic: Why is your software aging? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Servlet Upload File and Download File Example

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use