The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
What to do about EV1?

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Mar 3, 2004 11:56 AM by Russell Beattie

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Russell Beattie

Nickname: rbeattie

Russell Beattie is a Mobile Internet Developer
What to do about EV1? Posted: Mar 3, 2004 11:56 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Russell Beattie.
Original Post: What to do about EV1?
Feed Title: Russell Beattie Notebook
Feed URL: http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/rss.jsp?q=java,code,mobile
Feed Description: My online notebook with thoughts, comments, links and more.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Russell Beattie
Latest Posts From Russell Beattie Notebook

Advertisement
This website is hosted at EV1Servers.net, which used to be called RackShack. I get an incredible deal: My own dedicted Redhat box on a massive pipe and 700GB of bandwidth a month for $100. With all the little extras like control panel and DNS management as well. I think it's a fabulous deal, and I've looked around. The box has been solid, the service reliable and generally been a good deal.

However, the thing with SCO *really* annoys me. Are there competitors to EV1 out there that provide similar cost/performance/bandwidth? I hate to be fanatical, but licensing Linux from SCO just gives more money and some sort of precedent to SCO which disgusts me.

Speaking of server moves, I've decided to consolidate all of my domains under GoDaddy.com. It cost me $150 to do it, but extends all the names I have for a year and will make maintaining and adding them all much easier/cheaper. The process of moving domain servers is definitely painful and not always successful. You can't move domains you've registered in the past 60 days (MobKnowledge.com and 3GP.us) and I have to go through each domain and give permissions in a variety of obtuse ways (OpenSRS wants me to put in the unique password they sent me and my phone number in every time I approve a request). Urgh. It's going to be another several weeks, I bet, before the dust is settled. I've actually not moved RussellBeattie.com or Mobitopia yet because I want to make sure everything else has moved correctly first. Then we'll do the final move. I think it's ridiculous you can't define a nameserver for a pending domain name so that the instant it does move over, you don't have any downtime. Dumb.

Anyways, any suggestions for another hosting company on par with EV1?

-Russ

Read: What to do about EV1?

David Ramsey

Nickname: dlramsey

Re: What to do about EV1? Posted: Mar 4, 2004 1:47 PM
Reply to this message Reply
I admit to not following Groklaw and the SCO case religiously. I've gotten some chuckles as SCO patiently pays out the very rope that will hang themselves. But I don't understand your problem?

Did Red Hat recently sign an agreement with SCO to pay for Linux? Somehow I totally doubt that. If not, and if you are running a Red Hat server, then there should be no connection with SCO, unless there is some other issue here that you did not make clear.

So please elaborate. What exactly is your problem with EV1Servers.net and SCO?

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: 3GSM Is Here Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: I switched browsers to mozilla

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use