The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
hsqldb embedded Java Database - nice!

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Marc Logemann

Nickname: loge

Marc Logemann is founder of www.logentis.de a Java consultancy
hsqldb embedded Java Database - nice! Posted: Oct 5, 2004 5:44 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Marc Logemann.
Original Post: hsqldb embedded Java Database - nice!
Feed Title: Marc's Java Blog
Feed URL: http://www.logemann.org/day/index_java.xml
Feed Description: Java related topics for all major areas. So you will see J2ME, J2SE and J2EE issues here.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Marc Logemann
Latest Posts From Marc's Java Blog

Advertisement

Until recently, i allways had problems with distributing demo applications to my customers (with demo i mean snapshots of a current software project in the J2SE area), because of the database involved. There was allways the issue with syncronizing the structure and changing the drivers, because normally i am using different databases than my customers. All this was quite time consuming and error prone and it was time to move to a better solution for demoing.

Because of JBoss, i was aware of hsqldb (is hypersonicSQL a deprecated name?) and after googling for alternatives, i only saw cloudscape, but being an IBM product, i thought that hsqldb is most likely faster to deploy and integrate.

All in all, the docs are well organized, so it took me about 10 minutes to integrate a test database into my current Swing Application. The GUI tools to create and maintain the database are simple but sufficient. After correcting some JDO mappings, i was able to run my application with hsqldb.

And when i am speaking of JDO, again it was so nice to see that i only had to edit _one_ jdo vendor config file in order to replace my former DB2v8 target database to hsqldb. Now i can just package my application with the db directory inside and put a 500k hsqldb jar in the classpath. Everything else is just a: java -jar MyApp.jar

Sometimes things can be so easy....

Read: hsqldb embedded Java Database - nice!

Topic: Yet another reason to hate Together Products Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Do not use java.net.URL as a key in HashMap

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use