The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Thought Inc. Patent and Prior Art

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jason Carreira

Nickname: jcarreira

Jason Carreira is a Software Architect for Notiva Corp.
Thought Inc. Patent and Prior Art Posted: Jul 28, 2003 11:48 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Jason Carreira.
Original Post: Thought Inc. Patent and Prior Art
Feed Title: Jason Carreira
Feed URL: http://sedoparking.com/search/registrar.php?domain=®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: Personal Aggrandizement
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Jason Carreira
Latest Posts From Jason Carreira

Advertisement

I'm almost afraid to post this, lest I be the next to be awarded with a threat of lawsuit, but here goes.

As you undoubtedly know by now, Ward Mullins, CTO of Thought Inc. (makers of Cocobase, an O/R tool) is going on about potential Intellectual Property violations by the Hibernate project and potential damages due from users of Hibernate over at TheServerSide. This all revolves around Thought Inc's patent. As you can see, Ward was the inventor listed on this patent. As you can also see, the filing date on the patent is March 20, 1997. The filing date is the important date on a Patent as it establishes the date after which intellectual property is considered to be owned by the patent holder when the patent is finally approved (January 5, 1999 in this case). It's also the date before which similar works are considered to be "Prior Art", which is supposed to prevent the patent from being approved and can be used to invalidate a patent in a legal proceeding.

Along these lines, I did some very cursory investigation into the history of TopLink, and found this:

• TopLink was created 10 years ago as a professional services framework in the Smalltalk industry.
  • In 1996 we got to learn from our experiences with the Smalltalk version and rewrite TopLink in Java
  • Early 1997 first fully supported release of TopLink Java

WebGain TopLink Technology Overview for the Chicago Java Users Group, February 19, 2002

Now, I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure this would count as prior art and would pretty much make the above listed patent worthless. The idea of an object/relational mapping framework had been out there for a decade and was even productized before Ward's patent was filed. I hope Gavin and other Hibernate users weren't feeling any worry, because I think they can pretty safely sleep well at night. :-)

Read: Thought Inc. Patent and Prior Art

Topic: The Fifteen Minute Test Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Too Late for UtraSparc64 and Sun?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use