The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Lazy sequences working hard

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Thomas Guest

Nickname: tag

Thomas Guest likes dynamic languages.
Lazy sequences working hard Posted: May 16, 2017 4:36 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Thomas Guest.
Original Post: Lazy sequences working hard
Feed Title: Word Aligned: Category Python
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/WordAlignedCategoryPython
Feed Description: Dynamic languages in general. Python in particular. The adventures of a space sensitive programmer.
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Thomas Guest
Latest Posts From Word Aligned: Category Python

Advertisement

I gave a talk @PyDiff this evening in the computer science department at Cardiff University.

Lazy Sequences working hard

Python has no problem handling large and even infinite streams of data. Just write lazy programs — code which defers data access until the last minute. This talk examines Python’s language and library support for such delaying tactics. There will be live coding, and we’ll draw parallels with similar features in other languages, in particular the Unix shell.

Being unsure where to pitch it, I started off easy and kept going until I’d lost everybody — including myself.

The room was well set up with a good quality projector and whiteboard, along with a desk to sit down when I wanted to write and run code and plenty of space to move around in otherwise. I did feel a bit like a jack-in-the-box by the end.

Me @PyDiff

I’d based the talk on a Jupyter notebook which I replayed with the ingenious RISE reveal.js extension written by Damian Avila. This worked well, since I got the pretty graphics along with the interactive coding. A static version of the slides is available here.

Thanks to everyone who came. Sorry I had to rush off after. If anyone would like to talk at Swansea, please let me know: you’d be most welcome.

Read: Lazy sequences working hard

Topic: Unleash the test army Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Slicing a list evenly with Python

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use