The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Initial thoughts on Prothon

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Ian Bicking

Nickname: ianb

Ian Bicking is a freelance programmer
Initial thoughts on Prothon Posted: Mar 30, 2004 12:17 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Ian Bicking.
Original Post: Initial thoughts on Prothon
Feed Title: Ian Bicking
Feed URL: http://www.ianbicking.org/feeds/atom.xml
Feed Description: Thoughts on Python and Programming.
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Ian Bicking
Latest Posts From Ian Bicking

Advertisement

Prothon looks quite interesting. Reading through the description, here are a few of my thoughts.

Line Continuations

Prothon uses whitespace for continuations, so if a line is indented from the previous line it is considered a continuation of that line. I have a really hard time keeping lines under 80 characters in width, and \ and () always break up my coding -- the first is ugly, and the second requires me to back up to the beginning of the line once I realize I'm going over 80 characters.

This is purely syntactic, Python could also do this.

"with" keyword

This is really at the heart of Prothon. This is actually my plan for OO in PyLogo (except it's called TELL there). When you use with var:, var becomes the "self" object (though Prothon doesn't use the word "self").

This kind of scares me, though. My experience with DTML shows that this is a horrible feature. Though, that said, I'm not sure if with is quite as dangerous as dtml-with -- so long as it only applies locally it's not too bad. The issue would be something like:

with File:
    def .writeAll(*objs):
        for ob in objs:
           .write(CustString(ob))

def CustString(ob):
    if .filename.endswith('.txt'):
        ob = Str(obj)
    else:
        ob = Str(obj).encode('UTF-8')

I don't know, I'm kind of contriving that example. But the question being, do you "inherit" the . (self) according to call order? Or only statically? Eh, they probably do the right (static only) thing here. def with expressions

Or, more specifically, something like:

def Point.move(xofs, yofs): ...

In this case, adding a method move to Point. I like this, it's very natural feeling. It is used to more effect in Prothon than it would be in normal Python. Variable naming

In Prothon, locals start with lower-case letters or the underscore, and globals are capitalized. This is okay. I still like lower-case functions, but I can live with upper-case functions.

I do not like all the prefixes they come up with. I think this is clearly a case of starting with one or two prefixes, then it spiraling out of control. Here's the prefixes:

Prefix

Meaning

.x is like self.x, kind of. Problem: . can't be pronounced, and it's really small. I still like self, though I can understand taking it out of method signatures. I think they should make self a keyword.

^

Like "super", though the exact equivalent in Python is terribly confusing (the super() function). I'm used to it from Smalltalk, and like the brevity compared to Python's standard mechanism. A super keyword would still be better (to go with a self keyword).

&

This is a closure variable -- a variable that is defined in the parent scope. Anyone who has tried Scheme-style closures in Python has probably known the suffering of trying to figure out how scopes work. This makes it very explicit, which actually makes it usable. I also imagine it makes it easier to implement, since you actually know which variables need to be kept with the closure. Horrible punctuation, but a good idea.

@

Dynamic local variables. There's no equivalent in Python -- you'd have to open up the current frame object and look in parent scopes. While it's expedient, I think it's also a very bad idea to provide this. That kind of mucking about with parent scopes is just asking for problems. I guess it could be used to macro-like effect in some ways.

__init__ function

__init__ allows for more playing around than in Python -- you can return an object besides self and effect the result of the constructor. Of course, you've already constructed the object anyway, so maybe __new__ really is called for, if you actually want to avoid creating an object. (If you had to call ^__init__ to construct the object, then it would be more general)

In the list of little tweaks, they also allow identifiers to contain !, with the usual meaning (indicating the method mutates the object). I always like that punctuation, so I like that it's in there. It's much more useful than Python's convention of returning None -- I can tell statically that a method name contains !, but I can't do the same for returning None, and returning None is annoying. Prothon also returns self by default, instead of returning None (there's some conflicting information on this, so they might not be doing this). I like ? in identifiers as well, but Prothon doesn't add that.

There also seems to be a tendency to global methods, like obj.chr() instead of str(obj). I'm not entirely clear about this -- I think it falls out of the way builtins are defined. I generally prefer Python's style with magic methods, purely from an aesthetic point of view, though I can understand why some people would prefer using methods for everything.

There's also some changes in generators, but I haven't used generators enough to have an opinion on the subject. I think the change is fairly significant, from a stylistic/usage point of view.

Conclusion

It's an interesting effort. There are some small aesthetic/syntactic changes, some of which I like and some of which I don't. Then there's the prototypes... which are something else entirely.

I actually wonder to what degree prototypes could be implemented in Python with metaclasses. While some of the syntax would currently be crufy with Python (e.g., you'd have to create a function, then assign the function to an object), that's kind of a separate issue. The basic object model in Python feels like it should be replaceable, especially since we already have both new and old style classes. I think it's still a bit hard to think about these with the syntax getting in the way or otherwise being distracting, but feel like the potential is in there somewhere.

If it could be hacked onto Python instead of developed entirely separately from Python, it could make Prothon much more interesting from the perspective of practical programming. Ultimately it would probably have to be like Stackless -- a patch against Python implementing some necessary changes to syntax. But that's a more viable development effort, and one that's more likely to percolate ideas into the main Python interpreter.

Read: Initial thoughts on Prothon

Topic: Building a Balancing Scooter Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Prototyping

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use