The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Why Ethanol sucks, continued

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Feb 7, 2007 7:36 AM by Arshia Javaherian

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Daniel Berger

Nickname: djberg96

Daniel Berger is a Ruby Programmer who also dabbles in C and Perl
Why Ethanol sucks, continued Posted: Jul 14, 2005 1:19 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Daniel Berger.
Original Post: Why Ethanol sucks, continued
Feed Title: Testing 1,2,3...
Feed URL: http://djberg96.livejournal.com/data/rss
Feed Description: A blog on Ruby and other stuff.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Daniel Berger
Latest Posts From Testing 1,2,3...

Advertisement
I was just reading Ian Bicking's blog and he had a link to a PDF file explaining why Ethanol is a crappy, crappy alternative to gasoline. I emailed this to a good friend of mine who happens to be a mechanical engineer in Detroit. His reply was pretty good, so I provide it in its entirety:

I can't speak to the accuracy of the cost of producing ethanol, but the way ethanol is marketed as a major scam. Many people quote that ethanol is cheaper per gallon - this is because a gallon of ethanol only has ~75% of the energy per volume that gasoline has. A car running 100% ethanol would have much lower mpg than a gasoline car, so it better be cheaper.

I worked on E85 fuel for awhile (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) and it has major problems. The fuel tank must be larger to have a decent drving range (higher vehicle weight), and ethanol is so reactive that it burns holes in the cylinder block over time. This 'pitting' causes poor combustion (higher fuel consumption and oil consumption). In addition, at cold temperatures, ethanol doesn't burn nearly as well as gas, so you need to 'dump it in' to start the car. This extra fuel goes in the oil, and freezes since ethanol attracts water out of the air. Finally, ethanol is not compatible with all the additives used in gasoline to prevent clogging of injectors, valves, etc., so all of these components get gummed up and increase emissions.

Good thing all the senators and congressmen want subsidies for corn!!!!!!!!!!

go diesel, dude!

Read: Why Ethanol sucks, continued

Arshia Javaherian

Nickname: arshia

Re: Why Ethanol sucks, continued Posted: Feb 7, 2007 7:36 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Can ethanol be made without oil in any form? What happens to ethanol when we run out of oil?

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: RailsEdge Rocks Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Steve Jobs says Apple would love DRM-free music

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use