The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
1.8.4 upgrade frenzy to solve the plastic (explosive) Ruby puzzle?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Eigen Class

Nickname: eigenclass

Eigenclass is a hardcore Ruby blog.
1.8.4 upgrade frenzy to solve the plastic (explosive) Ruby puzzle? Posted: Jan 11, 2006 5:59 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Eigen Class.
Original Post: 1.8.4 upgrade frenzy to solve the plastic (explosive) Ruby puzzle?
Feed Title: Eigenclass
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/eigenclass
Feed Description: Ruby stuff --- trying to stay away from triviality.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Eigen Class
Latest Posts From Eigenclass

Advertisement

... not quite, so I synthesized a new version of my Ruby puzzle, friendlier to Ruby 1.8.2. As far as I know, >90% of those that downloaded the original puzzle haven't been able to solve it yet, but I don't know if that means they've given up or that they couldn't even get started because they didn't have at least 1.8.3.

There's no excuse now...

Playing

Here's a picture of the mystifier, looking at you haughtily challenge-small.png

How long will it take?

The quickest exploit takes but a few seconds, but I'm not sure if anybody has found it yet. The second best solutions (time-wise) would take but one or two minutes if you type fast.

Some people have reported one to two hours... they must have run into the traps I carefully set up for them }:-)

Download

Get the script corresponding to your Ruby version:

NOTE: the 1.8.[34] script is the one I posted originally; the 1.8.2 one is identical modulo the minimal change required to make it work with that version of Ruby.

Run

Some things to keep in mind:

• don't rename the scripts!
  • you must run them from the directory they reside in; ruby /tmp/challenge-1.8.2.rb will not work
  • if you preload some library, they won't work either. Remember to unset RUBYOPT if you added -rubygems

In other words, you want to do something like

RUBYOPT=  ruby challenge.rb

or

RUBYOPT= ruby challenge-1.8.2.rb

depending on your Ruby version.

If all went well, you'll see an ASCII animation and the game can go on.

Crack

Once more, the rules:

• you have to find the secret message hidden inside challenge.rb/challenge-1.8.2.rb
  • that message is placed in the base-64 encoded text at the beginning, which also contains the code for the ascii demo
  • the secret message will tell you how to prove that you solved the puzzle
  • please drop a comment when finished (time it took + proof) --- feedback is very appreciated
  • all means allowed to get the secret message

Read more...

Read: 1.8.4 upgrade frenzy to solve the plastic (explosive) Ruby puzzle?

Topic: Template driven page generation Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Creating the new feed files

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use