The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
A minimalistic yet much more powerful bookmark manager, kicking del.icio.us' and...

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Eigen Class

Nickname: eigenclass

Eigenclass is a hardcore Ruby blog.
A minimalistic yet much more powerful bookmark manager, kicking del.icio.us' and... Posted: Jul 8, 2006 12:56 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Eigen Class.
Original Post: A minimalistic yet much more powerful bookmark manager, kicking del.icio.us' and...
Feed Title: Eigenclass
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/eigenclass
Feed Description: Ruby stuff --- trying to stay away from triviality.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Eigen Class
Latest Posts From Eigenclass

Advertisement

Barely sub-second latencies? Poor searching capabilities and on top of that you have to wait several RTTs and use the mouse?! I never managed to force myself to use del.icio.us. Actually, I didn't really use any bookmark manager; those from the several browsers I run all suck. I just remembered pieces of URLs...

But this one I'm liking so far: based on wmii's wmiimenu+wmiipsel tools, and built on top of ruby-wmii, it features:

• mouse-less interaction
  • search as you type (extended autocompletion) for both title and URLs: the set of bookmarks matching what I'm typing at any position in the title or the URL is updated instantaneously as I type
  • del.icio.us integration: importing bookmarks from del.icio.us and getting new ones automatically
  • tagging (it will import your del.icio.us tags if you let it try)
  • powerful search expressions (as many criteria as you want):
    • all bookmarks in the last week: ~d <7d
    • all bookmarks whose description matches a regexp: ~t regexp
    • all bookmarks with "redhanded" on the description or the URL, defined/last used in the last month: redhanded ~d <1m
    • all bookmarks with "ruby" on the URL, defined/last used in 2006: ~d 2006 ~u ruby
    • all bookmarks tagged as "blog", defined/last used in Q1: :blog ~d q1
  • progressive refining: I can enter successive expressions and each one further restricts the possible choices, which are shown in the menu

I have added the BookmarkManager to ruby-wmii's standard plugin in the development branch. It stores the bookmarks as a plaintext file in $HOME/.wmii-3, so you can use the text tools of your choice to search and process it.

Here are some animations showing how it works:

Progressive refining

First the bookmarks matching 'red', then the remaining ones under 20 days old, finally the subset of the latter with wmii, no, hpricot somewhere in the description or the URL:

Read more...

Read: A minimalistic yet much more powerful bookmark manager, kicking del.icio.us' and...

Topic: Unit Testing Routes Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: ruby-wmii 0.3.0: extensibility via plugins, easier upgrades, new applets (MPD, battery monitor)...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use