The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Testing the tester

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Brian Ford

Nickname: brixen

Brian Ford is Rails developer with PLANET ARGON.
Testing the tester Posted: Aug 30, 2006 12:43 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Brian Ford.
Original Post: Testing the tester
Feed Title: def euler(x); cos(x) + i*sin(x); end
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/defeulerxcosxisinxend
Feed Description: euler(PI) # => -1
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Brian Ford
Latest Posts From def euler(x); cos(x) + i*sin(x); end

Advertisement

I recently wrote about the assert_cookie custom test assertion plugin I put together. When I started writing the assertion, it was just a helper method to wrap up the funky logic for testing stuff about a cookie. I wasn’t thinking about tests. And my first tries were definitely not test-driven.

When I was wrapping it up as a plugin, this started bugging me a lot. Especially because my first tries at the assertion method weren’t very good. (Ugh! svn diff -r59:72 http://svn.planetargon.org/rails/plugins/assert_cookie/lib/assert_cookie.rb) But the idea of testing it was confounding. How do you think about testing the tester?

The first thing I had to get straight was what I expected. It basically reduced to expecting the assertion to pass or fail. When an assertion fails, it raises the AssertionFailedError exception. Excellent, now I was making progress.

I started writing tests like:

def test_assertion_cookie_is_secure_should_pass_when_cookie_is_secure
  assert_nothing_raised { assert_cookie :secret, :secure => true }
end

def test_assertion_cookie_is_secure_should_fail_when_cookie_is_not_secure
  assert_raise(AssertionFailedError) { assert_cookie :open_secret, 
      :secure => true }
end

and notices a lot of repetition of assert_raise(AssertionFailedError) and assert_nothing_raised. It was ugly to read. I decided to write a couple helper assertions:

def assert_pass
  assert_block("assert_pass must be called with a block.") { block_given? }
  yield
end

def assert_fail
  assert_block("assert_fail must be called with a block.") { block_given? }
  yield
rescue AssertionFailedError
end

The hard part again was figuring out what I was expecting. My first try was to use assert_raise and assert_nothing_raised as before. But those failed miserable because they call yield. I lamented to Andrew that I wished yield would work like raise. After thinking a bit more, I realized I only cared whether an AssertionFailedError exception was raised or not. The previous tests now look like this:

def test_assertion_cookie_is_secure_should_pass_when_cookie_is_secure
  assert_pass { assert_cookie :secret, :secure => true }
end

def test_assertion_cookie_is_secure_should_fail_when_cookie_is_not_secure
  assert_fail { assert_cookie :open_secret, :secure => true }
end

There is one last thing that bugs me. I wanted the tests to run outside of Rails but function correctly in Rails. Rails adds a method to Test::Unit::Assertions called clean_backtrace. I couldn’t figure out how to get that required correctly, so I created a stub in test_helper.rb. Can anyone help me fix this?

Install the plugin with script/plugin install http://svn.planetargon.org/rails/plugins/assert_cookie. Navigate to the vendor/plugins/assert_cookie directory, type rake and watch the tests run. :)

Read: Testing the tester

Topic: ruby memory visualizer Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Tracer bullets are about aiming, not firing

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use