The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
On GC and finalizers in Ruby, corrected weak hash table implementations

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Eigen Class

Nickname: eigenclass

Eigenclass is a hardcore Ruby blog.
On GC and finalizers in Ruby, corrected weak hash table implementations Posted: Apr 19, 2007 9:03 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Eigen Class.
Original Post: On GC and finalizers in Ruby, corrected weak hash table implementations
Feed Title: Eigenclass
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/eigenclass
Feed Description: Ruby stuff --- trying to stay away from triviality.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Eigen Class
Latest Posts From Eigenclass

Advertisement

Jens Himmelreich reported a problem with my weak hash table implementations:

You use a hash, but you only save the object_id in the WeakHash. Every time you need the hash, you get it back from the heap by _id2ref. You use a finalizer to be acknowledged, if the hash is garbage-collected.

Sometimes this concept works, sometimes I get a RangeError. I log the finalization and my theory - without reading reference-material about ruby-garbage-collection - is this: The hash is cleared on the heap, but the finalizer is not immediately called. In this gap it's possible to get a RangeError.

I took another look at gc.c, and Jens is right on.

You can find corrected versions of the SimpleWeakHash and WeakHash classes (two weak hash tables with slightly different semantics) below, but I'll first expand on why GC and object finalization can be fairly distant in time.

The GC

Ruby uses a very simple mark&sweep GC, which as its name implies works by first marking all live*1 objects, and then reclaiming all those that remained unmarked.

gc.c is actually one of the easiest core components; it's easier to follow than eval.c, since it doesn't require remembering lots of things (node types and undocumented conventions regarding the way they nest) and it's leaps and bounds simpler than parse.y. So it only took me a few minutes to verify Jens' intuition.

Finalizers

How do finalizers fit in the picture? As the rest of gc.c, this is also very simple. The interpreter just adds the objects being swept for which a finalizer has been defined to a list of... well, objects whose finalizers need to be called. (If you want to see where this happens, read gc_sweep and look for uses of the deferred_final_list and final_list variables). At some point, later in time, Ruby follows that list and executes the finalizers one after the other.

This explains how finalizers are executed, but not when. The code could hardly be more expressive:

Read more...

Read: On GC and finalizers in Ruby, corrected weak hash table implementations

Topic: Contrasting Grails SpringBuilder vs JRuby Spring DSL vs Guice Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: 14 Ruby projects accepted for Google Summer of Code

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use