The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
80's Video Games

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Doug Thews

Nickname: dougthews

Doug Thews is a software developer/manager for D&D Consulting Services with 18+ years of experience
80's Video Games Posted: Sep 10, 2003 6:33 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Doug Thews.
Original Post: 80's Video Games
Feed Title: IlluminatiLand
Feed URL: http://apps5.oingo.com/apps/domainpark/domainpark.cgi?client=netw8744&s=JETBRAINS.COM
Feed Description: A technology blog for people enlightened enough to think for themselves
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Doug Thews
Latest Posts From IlluminatiLand

Advertisement

MY wife & I went to an all you can play for $9 video arcade a few weeks ago that advertised they had all of the old 80's style arcade games. Well, I was pretty good at Defender (toward my peek I could play 3-4 hours on one quarter) and I was looking forward to playing it again. Problem was, they didn't have it - and, as luck would have it, that particular Williams machine was very high maintenance, so nobody really has them anymore (except for hobbyists).

I was pretty down, but then I found the MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) intiative. It's basically an emulator (multiple platform support) that emulates the various gaming circuit boards out there. You then load a ROM file, which are the exact op-code bytes pulled from the EEPROMS from these video games, and the emulator runs it. It's really pretty cool.

ANyway, I'm playing Defender now on my PC. I'll post a little more on the details of MAME and some add-ons you can get for your PC to make it look and feel like a real 80's style arcade cabinet.

In the meantime, you can check out the MAME initiative over at http://www.mame.net.

Read: 80's Video Games

Topic: Dolphins/Texans Post-Game Analysis Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: It's released! LLBLGen Pro is gold! The next-gen O/R mapper for .NET.

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use