The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Fun with VPC

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Peter G Provost

Nickname: pprovost

Peter G Provost is a Solution Architect for Interlink Group in Denver, CO.
Fun with VPC Posted: Oct 15, 2003 12:18 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Peter G Provost.
Original Post: Fun with VPC
Feed Title: Peter Provost's Geek Noise
Feed URL: /error.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: Technology news, development articles, Microsoft .NET, and other stuff...
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Peter G Provost
Latest Posts From Peter Provost's Geek Noise

Advertisement

I've been a longtime fan of VMWare, but since my company gets VPC licenses with our MS Partner license, I'm moving away from it.

At first it was annoying because it was different, but I've found a few things that I really like about it:

1. You can mount an ISO image as a CDROM drive in the guest OS from your host PC. Very convenient since almost everything on MSDN downloads is in ISO format
  2. You can mount a folder from your host PC as a drive in your guest OS. I only just discovered this one and it is very cool.
  3. The video driver's tolerance of window resizing is amazing

I've also run into a few problems. Some I've solved and some I haven't

1. In VMWare, you could setup networking as "host only mode" and you didn't have to worry about it. It just worked. This is very nice for when you are building an AD controller in the virtual machine and don't want it messing up your "real" domain. I figured out how to accomplish the same thing by using the loopback adapter and static IPs. Not quite as elegant but it does work.
  2. Each VPC can only have 1 NIC, so you can't simulate complicated server setups
  3. I haven't tried it yet, but I can't find any docs about setting up clustering using VPC. Anyone?

All in all, I'm pretty happy. Apparently there is a new version in the works. Wonder what they'll add?

Read: Fun with VPC

Topic: Home Machine is up and "loaded for code..." Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: [OT] Excellence in Filmmaking

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use