The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Had to Three-Finger-Salute my Watch today...what else can I reboot today?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Scott Hanselman

Nickname: glucopilot

Scott Hanselman is the Chief Architect at Corillian Corporation and the Microsoft RD for Oregon.
Had to Three-Finger-Salute my Watch today...what else can I reboot today? Posted: Feb 7, 2004 1:23 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Scott Hanselman.
Original Post: Had to Three-Finger-Salute my Watch today...what else can I reboot today?
Feed Title: Scott Hanselman's ComputerZen.com
Feed URL: http://radio-weblogs.com/0106747/rss.xml
Feed Description: Scott Hanselman's ComputerZen.com is a .NET/WebServices/XML Weblog. I offer details of obscurities (internals of ASP.NET, WebServices, XML, etc) and best practices from real world scenarios.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Scott Hanselman
Latest Posts From Scott Hanselman's ComputerZen.com

Advertisement

I woke up after a nap to find my watch had a blank screen.  Uh oh.  Needless to say this didn't bode well, and I had long ago not-read and tossed the instructions.  But I realized in my sleepy stupor that there were three buttons on the right side of the watch. 

I pressed them all at the same time, a pause, then a Fossil/Microsoft boot screen.  Whew!  I didn't realize those buttons where Ctrl-Alt-Del. :)

Doesn't it seem that hardware these days crash more than hardware of old?  I've 'rebooted' my insulin pump, my iPod, my ReplayTV, my Sony Receiver and my cell phone.  (Yes, I've rebooted my insulin pump three times.  Those weren't good days.)

Now, I know squat about hardware, but it seems to me that more and more hardware systems are built around a distinct Some Chip->OS->Support API->Custom Software model as opposed to a completely firmware-it's-all-baked-in custom model. 

Is this the case?  In our zeal to lower prices and get things to market faster are modular systems like iPods and MSN Watches simpler/cheaper than the old way?  or am I wrong in assuming there was an old way?

Read: Had to Three-Finger-Salute my Watch today...what else can I reboot today?

Topic: In local news... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Lesson from the incident

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use