The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
What I don't get about Podcasting

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
What I don't get about Podcasting Posted: May 26, 2005 2:27 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: What I don't get about Podcasting
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Podcasting is supposed to be the next big thing, and I don't really get it - although, using full disclosure here, I'm listening to a James Lileks podcast as I type this. The thing is, Lileks is funny - I enjoy his writing, and I like listening to his occasional diner bits.

Having said that, here's what I don't get about podcasts - they're like radio personality blather, but without the "radio voice". I've tried listening to a few podcasts - some by Winer, some by Curry, a few others. Maybe this is a personal taste thing, but I get the same urge when I hear those casts that I get when the DJ's on the local mix station start blathering - reach for the dial now!

The problem is, it takes a very long time to get someone's point when they insist on making it verbally. Something that takes 15-20 minutes verbally would take me fewer than 5 minutes to wade through in print. Which gets to the heart of the issue, for me: if your podcast could go to paper with no loss of information, you are wasting your time. This is what separates most podcasts from the sort of thing Lileks is doing - he's mixing in pop culture references in musical form, and I find that interesting. I'm sure that there are people who find Lileks dull - like any art, this is a matter of taste.

Back to the main point though - with a Lileks cast, it couldn't be delivered in print - not without a huge loss of information. Take your typical podcast though - it's 15-20 minutes of thinking out loud - a verbal rough draft, if you will. Thanks, but no thanks.

Read: What I don't get about Podcasting

Topic: Google's Map-Reduce Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Wish Troy luck

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use