The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Converting from Rexml to libxml

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jared Richardson

Nickname: jaredr

Jared Richardson is an author, speaker, and consultant who enjoys working with Ruby and Rails.
Converting from Rexml to libxml Posted: Feb 8, 2007 7:39 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Jared Richardson.
Original Post: Converting from Rexml to libxml
Feed Title: Jared's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.jaredrichardson.net/blog/index.rss
Feed Description: Jared's weblog. The web site was created after the launch of the book "Ship It!" and discusses issues from Continuous Integration to web hosting providers.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Jared Richardson
Latest Posts From Jared's Weblog

Advertisement

Once your Rails application starts to get serious, you start measuring it's performance. And you immediately realize that Rexml is slow. Real slow. It's still fast enough for most applications, but when you start thinking on the enterprise level, you don't use Rexml... you look for alternatives. And when you start searching and asking people, everyone seems to say Use Ruby libxml. So I did.

Ruby libxml is just a Ruby wrapper around the popular XML parser libxml. It's written in C and is really fast. Unfortunately, Rexml and Ruby libxml aren't interchangable. Each has their own quirks and interfaces, so I thought I'd document how to change over your codebase from Rexml to libxml. (Hint hint... wouldn't it be cool if someone wrote a wrapper so that Ruby libxml could be used with the same interface as Rexml? Switching over would mean changing a require statement... who wants to be famous? Go write it!)

The install has a number of dependancies, let me point you at the Install Page. Read it... install the required libraries before you attempt to install the gem. (libm, libz/zlib, libiconv, and libxml2)

Once you've got it all installed and running, move to your Rails code.

Switch out the imports first. include 'REXML' becomes require 'libxml'.

Then start changing code.

doc = REXML::Document.new raw_content

becomes

xp = XML::Parser.new()
xp.string = raw_content
doc = xp.parse

Cycling through a document with Rexml looks like this:

doc.elements.each("/rss/channel/item") { |item|
 uri = URI.parse(item.elements['link'].text) 
}

becomes
doc.find('//rss/channel/item').each do |item| 
 ink = item.find('link')[0].child.to_s 
 uri = URI.parse( link )
}

Also

rating = item.attributes['my-rating']

becomes

rating = item.property('my-rating')

And finally,

title = item.elements['title'].text

becomes

title = item.find('title')[0].child.to_s 

The libxml code is a bit uglier, but it parsed our XML ten times faster. An order of magnitude. I'll endure a little code ugliness for that.

As a final warning, the Darwin Ports package is very old (nearly a year), so you can't use a lot of the newer features if you use Ports to manage your Apple boxes.

The older version doesn't have first(), so code like
item.find('link').first.child
becomes
item.find('link').to_a[0].child

and

item.find('description')[0] turns into
item.find('description').to_a[0]

I hope this helps get you up and running quickly. I also hope someone with some free time writes a libxml wrapper that copies the Rexml interfaces so that switching over is as easy as swapping out the requires. Anyone?

Jared

Read: Converting from Rexml to libxml

Topic: More Seaside Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: List of Open Source Agile Project Management Tools

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use