The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
The Web is not an Appointment

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
The Web is not an Appointment Posted: Oct 29, 2007 8:35 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: The Web is not an Appointment
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

I've been reading about Hulu this morning - the joint venture between Fox and NBC. They've launched in beta, and are allowing their various partners to start distributing content. There are a number of positive reviews around, but TechCrunch zeroes in on the big mistake they are making: they are still trapped in the TV scheduling mentality:

Just when particular videos will be available through Hulu - and how long we can expect them to stay on Hulu - will vary from video to video. However, as a general rule TV shows will be available on Hulu by midnight Hawaii time after they debut on normal television. As another general rule, Hulu will keep distributing TV shows until five weeks of newer episodes have passed, at which point older shows will presumably just disappear from the site.

That expiration thing is just stupid. I have plenty of friends who have gotten into shows well after they have been on the air - and they expect to be able to watch the older stuff to catch up. That might mean DVDs, it might mean iTunes - it could mean Hulu, if the people who made this scheduling decision weren't being dumb.

I caught up on "Buffy" that way, actually - I started watching during season 5, and F/X was broadcasting two episodes of the older shows every morning. I had my ReplayTV catch them, and after a couple of months, I was caught up. Hulu could offer the same thing, but it looks like a failure of imagination.

Does this mean they'll fail? No, but it does mean that they are limiting their potential success.

Technorati Tags:

Read: The Web is not an Appointment

Topic: Good Agenda's make Great Meetings Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Smalltalk Daily - Specifying Behavior Patterns

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use