The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
I thought the water was cold

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
I thought the water was cold Posted: Aug 10, 2003 11:07 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: I thought the water was cold
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
While I was in Florida last week, I thought the water was getting colder on Tuesday and Wednesday - it was great on Monday, and very cold by Wednesday - I was at Melbourne Beach (east coast), and the water there is normally in the 80's at this time of year. By Wednesday, it must have been in the 60's. That was weird. So I was interested by this article on cold water in the Atlantic:

Water temperatures at South Jersey beaches over the last two weeks have hovered in the high 50s and low 60s at a time of year when they are normally in the low 70s.

Some experts blame the chilly water on prevailing southwest winds. These can create currents that push the sun-warmed surface waters out to sea, said Charles Tilburg, a University of Delaware physical oceanographer. As the warm water heads out, frigid water comes up from the depths to replace it. That's "upwelling," a fairly common summer phenomenon along the coast.

If that article's right, it's going to play havoc with the tourist season on the east coast - water that cold is for surfers in body suits...

Read: I thought the water was cold

Topic: Eliminate half the autos Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Patterns came from where?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use