The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Don't Escape Full Screen Mode in Safari

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Patrick Lenz

Nickname: scoop

Patrick Lenz is the lead developer at freshmeat.net and a contributor to the typo weblog engine
Don't Escape Full Screen Mode in Safari Posted: Sep 1, 2014 1:17 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Patrick Lenz.
Original Post: Don't Escape Full Screen Mode in Safari
Feed Title: poocs.net
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/poocsnet
Feed Description: Personal weblog about free and open source software, personal development projects and random geek buzz.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Patrick Lenz
Latest Posts From poocs.net

Advertisement

I went back to using Safari instead of Chrome as my standard browser on the Yosemite Public Beta to enjoy the awesome Handoff features. (And it still feels awkward to talk publicly about an upcoming Apple software release.)

Yosemite window controls

Yosemite window controls

Since I use most applications in fullscreen mode on my MacBook Pro, using Safari out of the box has one major drawback: It insists on leaving fullscreen mode when you hit the Escape key. Since sites like Squarespace use Escape as a shortcut to the admin login, YouTube and Vimeo use it to exit fullscreen mode of their video player, and so forth, I end up exiting Safari's fullscreen mode accidentally over and over again, which drives me bananas.

While Chrome apparently had the same default setting a while back, it's now doing the sane thing and uses just ⌘⌃F to enter and exit fullscreen mode. Safari has had its Escape trigger set since the early days of Lion and even apps like Secrets don't know anything about a secret preference either, not even in Yosemite.

Now, you could go ahead and brute-force disable the Escape key in Safari. But that'd defeat the purpose of still allowing Escape to work as a shortcut in the aforementioned places, which I'd rather avoid.

Remap Escape to ⌥Escape with a Keyboard Maestro macro

Remap Escape to ⌥Escape with a Keyboard Maestro macro

Instead, I'm using the power of Keyboard Maestro once again to remap Escape to ⌥Escape, which is wired internally in Safari to still trigger websites' escape key mappings while disabling the accidental triggering of the pesky "Exit Full Screen" functionality.

If you don't want to cobble the macro together by hand, it's available for download here.

Read: Don't Escape Full Screen Mode in Safari

Topic: Thoughts about the hue tap Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Sapphire 3 - Ruby goes visual!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use