The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Articles Forum
Open Possibilities

5 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jun 4, 2007 2:19 PM by johny boyd

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 5 replies on 1 page
Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

Open Possibilities Posted: May 31, 2007 2:00 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
In this interview, Onno Kluyt describes three Java technologies that allow developers to build new kinds of applications:

http://www.artima.com/lejava/articles/javaone_2007_onno_kluyt.html

What do you think are some of the biggest "hidden" opportunities in Java today?

johny boyd

Nickname: johnyboyd

Re: Open Possibilities Posted: Jun 1, 2007 9:56 AM
Off topic somewhat, .. but is it just me, or do others too
prefer to READ these interviews (and other such) on-screen,
rather than listen to an audio stream?

-jb

Dave Webb

Nickname: lazydaze

Re: Open Possibilities Posted: Jun 2, 2007 5:20 AM
The nice thing about text is I can scan thru it in a few seconds to see whether it's of interest - it's random access and fast - whereas with audios i have to listen to the whole thing to know whether i wanted to really listen to it.

Mark Thornton

Nickname: mthornton

Re: Open Possibilities Posted: Jun 4, 2007 1:35 AM
> Off topic somewhat, .. but is it just me, or do others
> too
> prefer to READ these interviews (and other such)
> on-screen,
> rather than listen to an audio stream?

I'm with you, and I think it is a quite a common preference. However I suspect that others will just say that we are out of sync with our time.

Mark Thornton

Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

Re: Open Possibilities Posted: Jun 4, 2007 10:02 AM
> > Off topic somewhat, .. but is it just me, or do others
> > too
> > prefer to READ these interviews (and other such)
> > on-screen,
> > rather than listen to an audio stream?
>
> I'm with you, and I think it is a quite a common
> preference. However I suspect that others will just say
> that we are out of sync with our time.

Thanks for the feedback. We typically focus on text-based content on Artima. The very few exceptions where we posted audio were following last year's JavaOne, and then again post-JavaOne this year.

We generally prefer to publish in-depth technical interviews in text format, for the reasons you all mentioned. Some of the benefits of a text-format interview come not just from the fact that it's text that can be quickly scanned, but, I'd hope, also because we typically invest a lot of time editing and polishing what starts out as a transcript of an audio recording.

In the process of turning an audio interview into a text interview, a transcription often has to be extensively edited in order to make the resulting text readable. Very few people speak so clearly as to allow us to just publish an unedited transcript. In addition to editing out "ums," "ahhs," false starts, etc., we also sometimes re-arrange the order in which the person we talk to describes something, etc.

BTW, such editing is necessary even in the case of these short audio interviews.

I think the audio snippets give back some of the feeling of walking through the JavaOne show floor and striking up conversations with people. We also did some longer interviews, too, at JavaOne that will appear as full-length edited pieces in the coming weeks.

johny boyd

Nickname: johnyboyd

Re: Open Possibilities Posted: Jun 4, 2007 2:19 PM
Frank, we appreciate the time and care you put in preparing
and publishing these interviews. Just wanted to comment about my preference for text, thats all !

-jb

Flat View: This topic has 5 replies on 1 page
Topic: Ajax-Enabled JSF Components Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Business Intelligence Dashboards

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use