The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Articles Forum
The DCI Architecture: A New Vision of Object-Oriented Programming

119 replies on 120 pages. Most recent reply: Jan 7, 2012 3:19 AM by Thorin Potjes

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 119 replies on 120 pages [ « | 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 120  | » ]
John Zabroski

Nickname: zbo

Re: The DCI Architecture: A New Vision of Object-Oriented Programming Posted: Mar 24, 2009 8:43 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
@Christian Horsdal

Thanks!

Can I ask what .NET libraries you usually use on your projects? I.e., what IoC/DI library?

One of the article's claims was DCI enables rich multiobject interaction that can replace object state machines. I see your current form of interaction as somewhat anemic, though - you are using inheritance to give your domain object Account additional capabilities that probably don't belong to it.

This is a model smell in my books.

The interesting thing is that so far nothing in the original article's top half has been proven, whatsoever. (This isn't a shot at you, Christian - just a critique of the original article.)

I'll continue to say that existing approaches are way further in theory&practice than this approach. MEF is a good example, albeit I feel MEF has many shortcomings and reasons why I don't use it - it at least gives me a reference point.

But, more importantly, in my experience there is nothing new here and nothing "agile" here, either. Instead, we're just creating a different way to do the SAME typechecking we were doing before - "Fortune 100"-style source code controls.

Businesses have more basic concerns that are better talking points for "mental models". One company we work with had their two head IT people tell us the biggest problem they face is silos. So what is there solution? Build a data warehouse - another silo, What ends up happening is nobody is accountable because there is no electronic workflow attached to the analysis that comes out of the warehouse data mining aventures. People print out sheets of paper, hand them out in the office, and people are supposed to be doing their work -- but they don't. Why? My guess is that people find it a pain in the butt to navigate back-and-forth between the data warehouse silo and their back office apps where they (re-)enter everything in.

Then on another level you have what I call the designer-developer facade, which is how you actually facilitate rapid prototyping of user interfaces. There is a reason why companies pay such a ridiculous amount of money for tools like iRise: it gets the client talking and thinking.

Flat View: This topic has 119 replies on 120 pages [ « | 28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36 | » ]
Topic: Effect Choreography in Flex 4 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Cooperative Visitor: A Template Technique for Visitor Creation

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use