The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Community News
Velocity 1.5 Released

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Mar 25, 2007 8:08 AM by Ivan Lazarte

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

Velocity 1.5 Released Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:07 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
In the first major release since becoming a top-level Apache project, the latest Velocity 1.5 version includes enhancements to the Velocity template language, support for new data types, and fixes for security vulnerabilities and bugs.
Advertisement

The Apache Velocity project released version 1.5 of its open-source Java template library. This is the first major release since Velocity became a top-level Apache project, and is fully backward compatible with earlier Velocity versions.

Major enhancements include:

• Improved syntax with new capability for decimal numbers, literal map definitions, multi-line statements, and support for automatic escaping of HTML and other special entities.
  • New capabilities to aid integration with other applications and web frameworks, including enhanced error reporting, a new logging subsystem, and a switch to unchecked instead of checked exceptions.
  • Correction of several important scalability problems, including a Least Recently Used (LRU) cache implementation and a fix to a ... race condition that could occur under heavy load conditions.
  • Almost all known bugs are fixed, including issues with macro recursion, a SQL injection vulnerability, several memory leaks and compile-time incompatibilities with Java 1.5 and 1.6.

How do you think the latest Velocity version compares with other Java template libraries?

Ken Lai

Nickname: kenlai

Re: Velocity 1.5 Released Posted: Mar 22, 2007 8:18 PM
Used version 1.4 to develop a standalone document generation engine (with Rtf doc as template, yikes!). It was the only open source solution I could find at the time that could do it without a JEE server. It worked fabulously because the VTL is rich enough that I was able to build a translation utility to convert our simple custom tags into VTL for more complex logic (looping, if/elseif/else) and for very complex stuff I just had the template call into Java code to generate low Rtf code.

Ivan Lazarte

Nickname: ilazarte

Re: Velocity 1.5 Released Posted: Mar 25, 2007 8:08 AM
I'm finding it also very useful for similar items...
I think it's strength is really turning out to be offline.

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: Enunciate Helps Code-First Web Service Development Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Web 2.0? Think Web 2.86... 3.1... and Beyond

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use