The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Community News
Azul Releases Realtime Performance Monitor for Java

5 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Mar 30, 2008 3:43 AM by Nick Evgeniev

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 5 replies on 1 page
Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

Azul Releases Realtime Performance Monitor for Java Posted: Mar 27, 2008 4:36 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Azul Systems released a new tool that allows continuous performance profiling of a Java application, even in a production environment. In addition, the company announced a program that lets developers observe their applications on Azul's 96-core hardware-based JVM.
Advertisement

Performance monitoring and profiling are usually performed on the development or test versions of an application. That's because profiling tools often place a large burden on an application, reducing its performance in a production environment to unacceptable levels. The relative confines of a development or a test environment, however, do not provide the sort of feedback that only real, runtime data can yield.

At the ServerSide Java Symposium in Las Vegas, Azul Systems released today a real-time performance monitoring tool for its special-purpose JVM. Azul's JVM works in conjunction with a hardware component with highly optimized instrumentation that very minimally impacts application performance. That, in turn, enables the system to gather continuous, real-time feedback on a running application, even in a production environment. Azul's Realtime Performance Monitor tool displays such data in a graphical UI.

According to Azul co-founder and CTO Gil Tene, the company designed runtime application monitoring into its special-purpose JVM for internal purposes. As customers saw this tool in action, however, Azul realized that such runtime data can be of benefit to application developers and deployers as well.

Because Azul's hardware-based JVM can provide a very large number of CPU cores to an application, Tene noted that such real-time performance monitoring is especially beneficial to detect and observe concurrency-related bugs and bottlenecks in an application. The company announced today a program that allows developers to observe their applications on a system consisting of up to 96 CPU cores.

As enterprise applications are increasing deployed on multi-core processors, how do you ensure that your code works correctly on such hardware?

Nick Evgeniev

Nickname: nevgeniev

Re: Azul Releases Realtime Performance Monitor for Java Posted: Mar 28, 2008 2:14 AM
Probably Azul is a nice company ... but you hardly can reach their sales :( we were trying to so for three (!!!) months. So all I can say they've got a nice web site and nice videos on theserverside, unfortunately we've failed to see something we can touch.

Marc Stock

Nickname: salient1

Re: Azul Releases Realtime Performance Monitor for Java Posted: Mar 28, 2008 7:49 AM
So devs are supposed to write the app on their PCs running Sun's VM but it's going to be deployed on a completely different VM? Yeah, that's a good plan. I'm also not likely to trust a brand new VM with my production code. Sun took many years to get theirs right.

Scott Sellers

Nickname: azulceo

Re: Azul Releases Realtime Performance Monitor for Java Posted: Mar 28, 2008 9:35 AM
> Probably Azul is a nice company ... but you hardly can
> reach their sales :( we were trying to so for three (!!!)
> months. So all I can say they've got a nice web site and
> nice videos on theserverside, unfortunately we've failed
> to see something we can touch.

Hi Nick-- If you have had trouble reaching our sales team, I apologize. How have you tried to contact us? We have a global sales team predominantly focused in the US, the UK, and starting to reach out into Europe. Pls email me directly at sellers <at> azulsystems.com and I'd be happy to connect you with our sales team. We would welcome the opportunity to prove ourselves to you, as we have successfully deployed our compute appliance currently running mission critical applications in production at customers like Credit Suisse, Bear Stearns, Wachovia, British Telecom, Sky Broadcasting, True Credit, Pegasus Solutions, and many, many more.

Regards,

Scott Sellers
President & CEO
Azul Systems, Inc.

Scott Sellers

Nickname: azulceo

Re: Azul Releases Realtime Performance Monitor for Java Posted: Mar 28, 2008 9:50 AM
> So devs are supposed to write the app on their PCs running
> Sun's VM but it's going to be deployed on a completely
> different VM? Yeah, that's a good plan. I'm also not
> likely to trust a brand new VM with my production code.
> Sun took many years to get theirs right.

Hi Marc-- Our customers will inevitably purchase our compute appliances both for use in production as well as for development and QA. Given the plug-and-play nature of our solutions, our experience has been our customers' qualification on Azul is really just sanity checking as opposed to actually finding issues (assuming the application is already stable on non-Azul platforms). This recent announcement makes it even easier and lower cost to use the unique profiling capabilities and massive multi-core benefits of our solutions specifically during the development phase.

To clarify another point, realize that our VM is not "completely different" than what you may already use today. We have licensed Sun's HotSpot JVM and port it to our compute appliances, adding the unique capabilities of our platform along the way. This allows us to productize our VM which tracks Sun's releases, as well as give our customers the confidence that it is leveraged from Sun's proven JVM technology.

Regards,

Scott Sellers
President & CEO
Azul Systems, Inc.

Nick Evgeniev

Nickname: nevgeniev

Re: Azul Releases Realtime Performance Monitor for Java Posted: Mar 30, 2008 3:43 AM
Hi,

First of all I don't doubt the fact that you have successfully deployed your solution to the companies you mention :) in other case we hardly would consider its evaluation. The problem as far as I remember was with endlessly postponed conference call. I'll figure this out and mail you shortly.

> > Probably Azul is a nice company ... but you hardly can
> > reach their sales :( we were trying to so for three
> (!!!)
> > months. So all I can say they've got a nice web site
> and
> > nice videos on theserverside, unfortunately we've
> failed
> > to see something we can touch.
>
> Hi Nick-- If you have had trouble reaching our sales team,
> I apologize. How have you tried to contact us? We have a
> global sales team predominantly focused in the US, the UK,
> and starting to reach out into Europe. Pls email me
> directly at sellers <at> azulsystems.com and I'd be happy
> to connect you with our sales team. We would welcome the
> opportunity to prove ourselves to you, as we have
> successfully deployed our compute appliance currently
> running mission critical applications in production at
> customers like Credit Suisse, Bear Stearns, Wachovia,
> British Telecom, Sky Broadcasting, True Credit, Pegasus
> Solutions, and many, many more.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Sellers
> President & CEO
> Azul Systems, Inc.

Flat View: This topic has 5 replies on 1 page
Topic: Implicit Arguments in Scala Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Amazon Adds Elastic IP Addresses, Availability Zones to EC2

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use