The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Community News
Java To Get Closures in JDK 7

7 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jan 24, 2010 7:58 AM by Dane Sowers

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 7 replies on 1 page
Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Java To Get Closures in JDK 7 Posted: Nov 19, 2009 9:03 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
At the Devoxx conference in Antwerp, Belgium, Sun's Mark Reinhold announced that closures would be added to Java in JDK 7. In this interview, Stephen Colebourne, coauthor of the FCM closures proposal, gives his perspective on this surprise announcement.
Advertisement

One year ago, Mark Reinhold, Principal Engineer at Sun Microsystems, announced At the Devoxx conference in Antwerp, Belgium that the next major release of Java, JDK 7, would not include closures. At the same conference this year, however, Reinhold announced in a surprise turn around the Java would be getting closures after all in JDK 7. I sat down with Stephen Colebourne, project lead of joda.org and coauthor of the FCM closures proposal, to discuss his perspective on the reason for this change of plans.

Bill Venners: What do you think is the reason Sun decided to include closures in JDK 7 after announcing one year ago that they would not?

Stephen Colebourne: One year ago Sun’s judgement was that there was not enough time to get closures into JDK 7, there were too many competing proposals, and not enough experience to decide which one to use. One factor is that because JDK 7 has been delayed until the end of next year, that allowed more time. In addition, their experience with Neal Gafter’s BGGA proposal implementation meant that they could decide what bits they would and wouldn’t want.

The BGGA proposal was the most complete implementation of closures from a theoretical perspective. I think Mark Reinhold evaluated BGGA and determined that non-local return and control invocation statements, which BGGA originally had, are not appropriate for Java. In the latest version of the BGGA proposal, v0.6a, Neal Gafter has taken out non-local return and control invocation statements. Once you take that out of BGGA, what you end up with is something that looks very similar to v0.5 of the FCM proposal. I’ve suggested that we rename the 0.6a proposal as CFJ (Closures For Java).

Bill Venners: What other factors do you think influenced the decision?

Stephen Colebourne: I think a key factor that changed people’s minds is the fork-join framework. Doug Lea completed the work on fork-join. Sun looked at including into JDK 7, but one part, the parallel array API, which includes predicates and transformers that operate in a functional style over arrays, was just too complicated. In order to make it work, it needed 80 interfaces, and that only covered four primitive types. To cover all the primitive types you’d need 80 more interfaces. Also, it was extremely unfriendly to the coder. You had to use an inner class and get the generics of the inner class right. You had to pick the right interface of the 80 choices. Closures will make that API much simpler and easier to use.

FCM (First Class Methods) closures proposal:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddhp95vd_0f7mcns

BGGA closures proposal:
http://javac.info/

Thomas Jung

Nickname: blob79

Re: Java To Get Closures in JDK 7 Posted: Nov 21, 2009 12:21 AM
I humble Java developer has to ask himself what is the decision process for Java?

As I sat in the Devoxx fork-join presentation last year (the inner class API with 100 generated types) I could tell that this is just a terrible API (like all functional programming in Java). It is unnecessarily hard to use compared to a closure based implementation (that is possible in practically every other language). Did the Sun management need one year to get that?

It would be nice if OpenJDK were a real open source project. (Having writing zero lines for OpenJDK I should not complain.) That the Sun/JCP smoke screen would be removed and decisions are done on technical merit in less than three years.

Mark Thornton

Nickname: mthornton

Re: Java To Get Closures in JDK 7 Posted: Nov 21, 2009 8:40 AM
The fork-join parallel array api was always a driving example behind closures. What was previously lacking was the time to arrive at an acceptable form of closure.

Kevin Wright

Nickname: kevwright

Re: Java To Get Closures in JDK 7 Posted: Nov 23, 2009 3:06 AM
More interestingly, will this drive a renewed interest in closures from developers who had previously written them off as not being relevant?

After that, once people are interested. It'll still be a year-long wait before JDK7 comes out, and even longer before it gets installed on back end deployment environments.

I'll be very closely watching what impact this has on the adoption rate of Scala, which offers closures right now on the 1.5 JVM and only requires an extra jar on the classpath to work. Plus you get type inference and all the other goodies.

Jess Holle

Nickname: jessh

Re: Java To Get Closures in JDK 7 Posted: Nov 24, 2009 3:25 AM
> It would be nice if OpenJDK were a real open source
> project.

Having seen well respected open source projects go through phases where the release manager would close issues as "we [I?] don't feel like this" and reject patches for the same, I guess I don't know what a "real open source project" is or how other real ones I know of are necessarily better than OpenJDK.

I'm not saying OpenJDK is perfect, but lack of perfection does not make it unreal.

Mark Thornton

Nickname: mthornton

Re: Java To Get Closures in JDK 7 Posted: Nov 24, 2009 3:36 AM
> > It would be nice if OpenJDK were a real open source
> > project.
>
> Having seen well respected open source projects go through
> phases where the release manager would close issues as "we
> [I?] don't feel like this" and reject patches for the
> same, I guess I don't know what a "real open source
> project" is or how other real ones I know of are
> necessarily better than OpenJDK.

The key is in the name: "Open Source" does not imply "Open Management" or any other type of project management.

Daniel Serodio

Nickname: dserodio

Re: Java To Get Closures in JDK 7 Posted: Dec 1, 2009 6:59 AM
Why hasn't this decision been thru the JCP? Just to make it clear that Sun (and not JCP) dictates the future of Java?

Dane Sowers

Nickname: danesowers

Re: Java To Get Closures in JDK 7 Posted: Jan 24, 2010 7:58 AM
It would be great if this project could be completed within the next year or so but I honestly see it taking a lot longer. It all seems to be a bit of a mess.

Flat View: This topic has 7 replies on 1 page
Topic: Parasoft Releases JTest 8 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: JIDE Charts Beta Released

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use