The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Community News Forum
Microsoft Releases .NET 3.5, Visual Studio 2008

3 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Nov 21, 2007 12:24 AM by Jeroen van Bergen

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

Microsoft Releases .NET 3.5, Visual Studio 2008 Posted: Nov 19, 2007 9:19 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Microsoft released today the latest version of its .NET runtime, including many enhancements to the C# language, as well as a major update to its developer tools suite.
Advertisement

Microsoft released today the latest update to its .NET runtime environment, bringing to a close several years of development on some of the more significant additions to the framework, including enhancements to the C# language:

NET Framework 3.5 builds incrementally on the new features added in .NET Framework 3.0. For example, feature sets in Windows Workflow Foundation (WF), Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and Windows CardSpace. In addition, .NET Framework 3.5 contains a number of new features in several technology areas which have been added as new assemblies to avoid breaking changes. They include the following:

• Deep integration of Language Integrated Query (LINQ) and data awareness. This new feature will let you write code written in LINQ-enabled languages to filter, enumerate, and create projections of several types of SQL data, collections, XML, and DataSets by using the same syntax.
  • ASP.NET AJAX lets you create more efficient, more interactive, and highly-personalized Web experiences that work across all the most popular browsers.
  • New Web protocol support for building WCF services including AJAX, JSON, REST, POX, RSS, ATOM, and several new WS-* standards.
  • New classes in .NET Framework 3.5 base class library (BCL) that address many common customer requests.

• Full tooling support in Visual Studio 2008 for WF, WCF, and WPF, including the new workflow-enabled services technology.

Scott Guthrie, manager of Microsoft's developer tools division, highlights many new language features added to the latest version of C# that also ships with the current release:

• Automatic Properties, Object Initializer and Collection Initializers
  • Extension Methods
  • Lambda Expressions
  • Query Syntax
  • Anonymous Types

One of the most anticipated new .NET features is LINQ. Guthrie also points to more information about this O/R mapping technology:

LINQ to SQL is a built-in OR/M (object relational mapper) in .NET 3.5. It enables you to model relational databases using a .NET object model. You can then query the database using LINQ, as well as update/insert/delete data from it. LINQ to SQL fully supports transactions, views, and stored procedures. It also provides an easy way to integrate business logic and validation rules into your data model.

Key additions to Visual Studio include Ajax support, including intelligent coding hints for JavaScript, and support for all the new .NET 3.5 features. Microsoft also released free "Express" versions of individual Visual Studio tools.

What do you think of the new features of .NET 3.5?

ju ju

Nickname: juborland

Re: Microsoft Releases .NET 3.5, Visual Studio 2008 Posted: Nov 20, 2007 1:42 AM
it looks good and it surely deserves a try...especially when i think i'm still developing with vs 2003 and that it doesn't work with vista ;-)

Leo Lipelis

Nickname: aeoo

Re: Microsoft Releases .NET 3.5, Visual Studio 2008 Posted: Nov 20, 2007 2:04 PM
> it looks good and it surely deserves a try...especially
> when i think i'm still developing with vs 2003 and that it
> doesn't work with vista ;-)

Ahhhh .... The wonders of vendor lock-in. ;)

Jeroen van Bergen

Nickname: jeroenvb

Re: Microsoft Releases .NET 3.5, Visual Studio 2008 Posted: Nov 21, 2007 12:24 AM
>Ahhhh .... The wonders of vendor lock-in. ;)

Right. I'm happy for the .Net people out there that get to use better tools, but some of the improvements make me wonder a little what to be happy about.

Disclaimer: I haven't done next to nothing with .Net, so I might be way off, but having the capability to build to different versions of a run time environment does not look like a feature of a full IDE to me, but rather a compiler option.

I understand the need for MS to entice people to upgrade, but I would feel very frustrated if I had to buy/upgrade and install a full IDE just to get my hands on a deployment option.

Does Borland have any significant market share in the .Net IDE arena or is MS the only show in town?

Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Topic: Microsoft Releases Parallel Programming Extensions to .NET Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Microsoft Forms Team to Support Development of F#

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use