The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Akka Concurrency Forum
Ch 14: Testing using multiple JVMs versus mulitple ActorSystems in one JVM

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Nov 19, 2012 2:58 PM by Eric Pederson

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Eric Pederson

Nickname: 71552

Ch 14: Testing using multiple JVMs versus mulitple ActorSystems in one JVM Posted: Nov 19, 2012 9:57 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
In chapter 14 the tests are set up using multiple JVMs. In my tests using remote actors I use one JVM but multiple ActorSystems on different ports. What made you decide to go the multi-JVM route? Single-JVM is a lot simpler, but are there problems I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Derek Wyatt

Nickname: dwyatt

Re: Ch 14: Testing using multiple JVMs versus mulitple ActorSystems in one JVM Posted: Nov 19, 2012 2:20 PM
The multi-jvm test system that Akka will be releasing will be based on multiple JVMs, which is one reason.

The other, main, reason is that having separate JVMs means that you're going to ensure that you aren't relying on some sort of in-memory information somewhere. Even with Actors and Futures and Akka, and all that other stuff, there are still situations where you could, unknowingly, be dependent on data that happens to be in the same memory space. Multiple JVMs models the remote-testing much better than multiple ActorSystems would inside the same JVM.

So there's really nothing "Akka related" as far as I can tell.. just the usual stuff.

Eric Pederson

Nickname: 71552

Re: Ch 14: Testing using multiple JVMs versus mulitple ActorSystems in one JVM Posted: Nov 19, 2012 2:58 PM
Ok - thanks.

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: The fact that ... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: ClassCastException in Altimer after refactoring in section 6.2

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use