The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

News & Ideas Forum (Closed for new topic posts)
James Gosling Takes Swipes At Microsoft's .NET

5 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Dec 3, 2002 10:48 AM by Ivar Vasara

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 5 replies on 1 page
Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

James Gosling Takes Swipes At Microsoft's .NET Posted: Nov 22, 2002 1:23 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
In an SD East keynote, James Gosling claimed that "the Common Language Run-Time (CLR) has fatal flaws, including a problematic memory model and unsafe access facility that will have implications for the security and reliability of .Net applications."

http://crn.channelsupersearch.com/news/crn/38682.asp

Here's an excerpt:

"The thing Microsoft has going for it is easy tools, an unbelievable marketing budget and a desktop monopoly to exploit," said a salt-and-pepper bearded, bespectacled Gosling, donned in faded jeans and a Java T-shirt. "There is a level of sophistication required [in Java development] that makes it daunting for entry-level developers . . . but the security in Java is very strong."

Does anyone have any idea of the details of Gosling's complaint? What is problematic about .NET's memory model and access facility?

Carfield Yim

Nickname: carfield

Re: James Gosling Takes Swipes At Microsoft's .NET Posted: Nov 22, 2002 3:22 AM
I think no one will expect M$ stuff have no bug...

Vincent O'Sullivan

Nickname: vincent

Re: James Gosling Takes Swipes At Microsoft's .NET Posted: Nov 22, 2002 5:00 AM
Other than reiterating the same old "Microsoft bad, Java good" refrain, Mr Gosling article says nothing useful or informative here.

Interestingly, he does at least acknowledge that .net is an easier environment to work in. Rather than (yet another) article attacking Microsoft I'd have rather heard how Sun intends to react to those things Microsoft is doing well.

Vince.

Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Re: James Gosling Takes Swipes At Microsoft's .NET Posted: Nov 22, 2002 5:33 PM
Well, Gosling didn't write the article. He was being quoted from a keynote speech. I asked him via email once to elaborate a bit on his comments about .NET's technical merits, and he did in a private response. But I didn't ask him about a "problematic memory model and unsafe access facility" at the time because I hadn't heard him utter that specific allegation. The next time I interview him I'll give him an opportunity to elaborate. And then I'd like to hear what MS's response would be.

I haven't yet embarked on a quest to understand .NET deeply, but only because I just haven't yet had time. I do want to understand it in depth eventually, and part of that is understanding what James Gosling finds lacking in .NET.

Ivar Vasara

Nickname: ivar

Re: James Gosling Takes Swipes At Microsoft's .NET Posted: Nov 26, 2002 9:39 PM
> The next time I interview him
> I'll give him an opportunity to elaborate. And then I'd
> like to hear what MS's response would be.

Also, be sure to poke and prod regarding "Jackpot". I'm dying to know what he's been up to, and my imagination has gone wild with hopes as to what he's building.

Ivar Vasara

Nickname: ivar

Re: James Gosling Takes Swipes At Microsoft's .NET Posted: Dec 3, 2002 10:48 AM
Here's more on Gosling's praise of standards and criticisms of .NET. http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,741330,00.asp

Semi-related:
Although there's not much to substantiate it, I'm thinking that Jackpot might have something to do with JSR 199 ( http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=199 ).. what caught my eye was the last paragraph in the description:

"Future versions of this API might expose more of the structure of the program, for example the declaration structure of the program (ala the javadoc API), program annotations (JSR 175) or even the code itself (ASTs: Abstract Sytntax Trees). These are not goals of the initial version of this specifications."

Having a refactoring dev environment dynamically interact with a compiler seems to be what he's aiming at, and given Netbeans and the potential possiblities offered by this JSR , I'd say things are falling into place.

If anyone else has any insight, please share !

Ivar Vasara

Flat View: This topic has 5 replies on 1 page
Topic: Design Principles and Code Ownership Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Implementing Web-Based UIs with JavaServer Faces

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use