The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Services Forum
SOA design problem

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
gustav gustav

Nickname: gustav

SOA design problem Posted: Mar 26, 2006 4:26 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
OK, I am about to design a large application in .NET that replaces a legacy application. The legacy application is developed in VB and is a client/server product. There is a thick client GUI application and there are multiple modules that are part of that client and also there is a set of components that run in a remote machine in a centralized way hosting some business logic and access to the central DB. I want to reengineer the whole app in .NET leveraging SOA. I have the following questions:

1. I will have a browser client and centralize everything as independent components running on the server-side. So according to SOA should all my components interact with each other using XML/WebServices? Is it not a performance problem?

2. I want to design the app in such a way that my UI becomes just one primary client and I can possibly expose those services to external applications of my customers/partners. How to do so in .NET. Is there a simple example that explains this pattern?

3. Are XOP & MTOM supported by .NET? If so, are they enabled by default or is there something that the developers need to worry about?

4. They say that RPC-style descriptions should be avoided and document-style SDL should be used. But I want to abstract the data level information and expose services as abstract operations, so what exactly is the guideline here?

5. Also, if SOA has to be taken as a concept and if I have to design SOA in mind but not necessarily just expose as webservices, what are the example design patterns I should use (please provide names)?

6. Are there any tools in .NET (or even let us say any other platform) that help SOA design/development leaving aside the webservices based approach?

7. When I design this SOA app in .NET, how do I do orchestration or choreography in future, does Microsoft provide any tools to do that or are there separate products that I need to buy?

8. Assuming that I expose my services using webservices, how do I incorporate security? Is there some form of automated integration into the Active Directory?

9. Again assuming that I expose my services using webservices, what special care should I take so that my partners/customers who use Java can also talk to my services? Is the WS-I thing a infrastructure product's concern (in this case IIS, maybe) or is it a programmer's concern?

I know some of the questions are about the SOA concept and others are implementation level ones, but these are the questions I got even after reading about SOA and WebServices. Recommending a book could be an easy answer but practical answers to the above will surely help all the readers of this post, including me.

Topic: passing objects to web service Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: workflow supporting xpdl

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use