The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
The Fundamental Theorem of Project Management

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Apr 21, 2005 11:26 AM by Nitin Borwankar

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Michael Feathers

Nickname: mfeathers

The Fundamental Theorem of Project Management (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Apr 19, 2005 4:41 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Or not.
Advertisement

In a couple of places, Andrew Koenig has mentioned something he calls The Fundamental Theorem of Software Engineering:

All problems can be solved by introducing an extra level of indirection.

As I work with teams, I notice that I spend a good amount of time making sure people are talking directly to the people they need to talk to. It makes me wonder.. Could there be a Fundamental Theorem of Project Management?

If there is, it might be:

All problems can be solved by removing a level of indirection.

Matt Doar

Nickname: mdoar

Re: The Fundamental Theorem of Project Management Posted: Apr 19, 2005 9:49 AM
The Wiki at http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ButlerLampson suggests that it was actually David Wheeler who said that. I certainly heard it attributed to him by his colleagues.

I tend to think of adding a level of indirection to coding problems, and agree about removing a level with people problems.

~Matt

Nitin Borwankar

Nickname: nbor

Re: The Fundamental Theorem of Project Management Posted: Apr 21, 2005 11:26 AM
Both theorems don't scale well for performance. But the "Project Management" version hits a wall much faster.

Given software with, say, three layers, that performs well, you could add perhaps a couple of layers before performance impact is seen.

A typical (manageable) project has but 2-3 layers, take away 2 and you have a flat model - this is very unmanageable, whatever other problems may be solved.

So, IMHO, what's probably more accurate to say is that
"... many problems can be solved .... but some others could be created ..."
" ... in practice all problems cannot be solved by ... indirection."

This applies to both theorems.

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: What's the deal with customer service? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: On Blogging

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use