The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Definite proDuctivity aDvantages

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Apr 27, 2005 6:46 PM by Matthew Wilson

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Matthew Wilson

Nickname: bigboy

Definite proDuctivity aDvantages (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Apr 21, 2005 6:47 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
The new programming language, D, may not be reaDy for its 1.0 release just yet, but it's harD not to be impresseD by how proDuctive one can be in it. Here's a little tale of toDay's activities, as a taster for the uninitiateD.
Advertisement

For any of you who follow my exploits at mixing C and C++ with other languages in the Positive Integration column in C/C++ Users Journal, you'll be aware that I've used two of my own libraries, recls and Open-RJ, as exemplars, and have had lots of fun mapping them to a variety of languages and technologies, including Ch, COM, D, Java, .NET, Python, Ruby, STL. For those who do not, recls is a platform-independent recursive search library, and Open-RJ is a structured file reader (and soon to be writer!) library for (a slightly enhanced form of) the Record-JAR format (as described in Eric Raymond's superb "The Art of UNIX Programming").

In May's issue of CUJ - on sale now! :) - I describe the choices involved in mapping Open-RJ to the D programming language versus implementing a 100% D version. (For the record, the D standard library, Phobos, now contains the 100% module std.openrj.) This is the first 100% anything implementation; all others - Python, Ruby, C++.NET, Ch, etc. - are mappings to the C-library.

In collaboraion with Lars Ivar Igesund, another D aficionado, I've been looking at expanding the functionality of Open-RJ, in terms of making record comments available at the API level, and adding functionality to write out databases back into their (text) file format.

This morning I took some time out to do the first part of this task. Adding functionality to make record comments available. For the C library, this took me 35 minutes to code and test (within the existing source files and IDE project); in D it took 10 minutes (of which half that time was spent in messing with the makefile).

How D'ya like them apples?

Bob Dobalina

Nickname: hiredgoon

Re: Definite proDuctivity aDvantages Posted: Apr 27, 2005 6:25 PM
The link in your sig "The Rule of the Big Two" is a 404, the real link appears to be: http://www.artima.com/cppsource/bigtwo.html

As for D, I have looked at it when reading the sources of Tumiki fighters, and liked what I saw. Finally someone combined a GC and RAII.

Matthew Wilson

Nickname: bigboy

Re: Definite proDuctivity aDvantages Posted: Apr 27, 2005 6:46 PM
> The link in your sig "The Rule of the Big Two" is a 404,
> the real link appears to be:
> http://www.artima.com/cppsource/bigtwo.html

Yes, I know. :$

We - Bjorn and I, and the Artima guys - are trying to get a home page for the Smart Pointers column going at the moment, in anticipation of release of several of the items that're nearing completion in the ready queue

As for why the 404 persists, we (authors) don't have the ability to edit our profiles as yet.

Sorry for the misdirection. :)

> As for D, I have looked at it when reading the sources of
> Tumiki fighters, and liked what I saw. Finally someone
> combined a GC and RAII.

Indeed, it has great promise, and that particular combination has very significant ramifications. But D's currently suffering a little in the doldrums of nearing the end of language definition and starting to get to grips with standard libraries. The fun of the early stages of language definition has turned to the inevitable unfun of disputes and paradigmic equivocation, and the fun of the later stages of the latter awaits only the intrepid who are prepared to wade through, and dig in, the early unfun stages.

Still, I think there's good cause to be hopeful. I shall continue to hope. :-)

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: How to Draft a Pattern Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Fundamental Theorem of Project Management

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use