The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
My Pycon 2005 Presentation

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

My Pycon 2005 Presentation (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Aug 26, 2005 10:21 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
The slides and audio from my presentation at the 2005 Python conference are now available.
Advertisement
If you download the slides and listen to the audio it's fairly obvious where the slide changes occur. Here's the link.

I think this was the first year they tried to capture things on sound, video or both, so there are occasional sound dropouts, but in general it's tolerable. I think it's great that the conference presentations can be captured this way, and I suspect that it will cause more, rather than less, people to want to come to the conference. A great deal of the conference is much more than the presentations -- the OpenSpaces are a big part of it, and just hanging out and talking to people is something you don't get on the web. On the other hand, even for the people that come to the conference it's nice to know that you can see the presentations you might have missed.

I see that the lighning talks from Thursday were also captured, but it appears that it was only audio so it's hard to tell how much you'll get from these without seeing what the speakers were showing and doing. Lightning talks tended to be one of the most popular events in the conference, since they are 5 minute presentations about something that interests the presenter. For whatever reason, this seems to bring out incredibly interesting topics, and you can never get bored since they are only 5 minutes long.

I believe the most popular talk at the conference was Michelle Levesque's PyWebOff: Mapping the python web application frameworks. This addressed the problem of proliferation of Python web frameworks, and how Rails is (or should be) forcing the community to stop experimenting and get their act together to focus on a small number of frameworks (ideally, only one framework for each "region of use"). Sometime after the conference, Django rather coincidentally burst on the scene and so far that's at the top of my list to investigate.

Topic: So what's HeronScript? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: I think I am Python Challenged

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use