The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
OsXml - An XML Format for Publishing Open-Source Code

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Nov 19, 2005 7:51 AM by Christopher Diggins

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Christopher Diggins

Nickname: cdiggins

OsXml - An XML Format for Publishing Open-Source Code (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 5:05 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
I have come up with a first specification of OsXml, an XML schema for publishing and distributing Open-Source code.
Advertisement
There is no standardized way of publishing open-source code. It can be easy to find a snippet of code online, but without key information, such as the license, authorship, known bugs, etc, it is virtually useless.

I have come up with a rough first draft of an XML schema which is designed to help people share, and ultimately find and use, open-source code. The first draft is available online at OsXml.org.

Constructive criticism on how I can make it a better format such as what information would be useful to introduce (or omit) from the schema would be much appreciated!

cyril romain

Nickname: cromain

Re: OsXml - An XML Format for Publishing Open-Source Code Posted: Nov 19, 2005 4:01 AM
Why publishing open-source _code_ only ? What about documentation ?

I think OsXml could (and should) follows the literate programming paradigm. Documentation is indeed more suitable than code to share ideas and concepts with the Open Source Community.

For me, a project should be a literate program with hypertext links to references, sources codes pieces (whatever the language used), file's history, etc. I hope for a file format allowing human to easily browse such a program with an 'aspect oriented reading'. This format should therefore be easily read and modified by a simple folding-featured text editor with for example:
- 'code fold' to focus on code
- 'API fold' to focus on API documentation
- 'history fold' to explore files by versions
- etc.

We could even imagine using a web browser to develop program with an interface like Zope...

Don't you think OsXml could includes such information ?

Christopher Diggins

Nickname: cdiggins

Re: OsXml - An XML Format for Publishing Open-Source Code Posted: Nov 19, 2005 7:51 AM
> Why publishing open-source _code_ only ?

I assume that non-open-source projects are not interested in publishing open-source code. An open-source project mixed with non-open-source code, make the project non-open-source, and the whole thing becomes a mess of partially usage text.

> What about documentation ?

I think the documentation is crucial and should be included as part of the document. Documentation and source are more or less the same thing, AFAIC.

> I think OsXml could (and should) follows the literate
> programming paradigm.

I completely agree.

I hope you would consider joinging the OsXml mailing list at http://groups.google.com/group/osxml and sharing your ideas.

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: Indexable Stacks and Programming with Contracts Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Rich Web Apps Beyond the Browser: Macromedia Central

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use