The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Are There No Decent Mailing List Programs?

9 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Mar 1, 2006 12:44 PM by nes

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 9 replies on 1 page
Eric Armstrong

Nickname: cooltools

Are There No Decent Mailing List Programs? (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 2:23 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
As far as I can tell, there isn't a decent mailing list program to be found anywhere on the planet. I don't want a lot a really, just a basic tool to keep a list of addresses and post a message once in a while. You'd think I could find one...
Advertisement

I should start by saying that I'm on a Windows box. There are quite a few server-side programs out there, but all I want is a simple list-management tool that runs on my desktop. Ideally, it would have the capacity to connect to my server and retrieve subscribe/unsubscribe messages. But it doesn't even need that, really. All it has to do is keep a list of address and let me send a message once in a while.

Well, I guess it needs a little more than that. The horror stories that follow will bring out the other requirements...

• Arrow This was the first list processing tool I tried. It worked pretty well, for a while. It wasn't great, but it was functional. Then it suddenly and mysteriously stopped working. It's been on version 0.9 or something for the past year, with no updates forthcoming. The author was nice enough to suggest a workaround that involved launching a second message-sending program. But when that failed, I started looking around again.

• Mail List King First stop: A program I downloaded several months ago. It didn't look really great either, but it looked as though it might work well enough to use. That's what I recall from when I was looking at it, anyway. When I tried to fire it up, lo and behold the time limit had expired. Heck, I had never set up a mailing list in it, much less sent a message. But what the heck, it's only $49. So I figure I'll just go buy it. Better to spend a few bucks and get my newsletter out the door.

So I go to the site, and guess what? There is no $49 option. There's a $100 "professional" option, and even more expensive "corporate" options. I'm not very happy with that, so I keep looking.

• Adaptive Mailing List This program sounds pretty good. So, like always, I go check how much it's going to cost. The order page says "pricing will be made available". Then it tells you to try the demo. Riiight. As if. Do they really think I'm going to download the demo, figure out how to use it, commit my mailing list to it, and then find out how much it costs? I don't think so, Tim...

• MailXpert This one came really close. It was servicable. It had decent export and export capabilities. But it turns out that it can't sort the list, or tell you how many items are in it. But since a comma-separated list (csv) can be edited in a spreadsheet, I have a workaround. So I planned to send them some money and register a request for the additional features.

But when I try to send a message to my list, it turns out that I have the configuration wrong. So the program starts giving me one error message after another, one for each attempted send. That's bad. So I look for a way to cancel it. Ah. There's a Stop button. I click it. Things stop. Good. I set up a test list so I can figure out what the configuration settings need to be. But now I can't send to it! The send button is disabled. So is the Stop button. It seems I have to press "Start". I try that. The original send now resumes, and I'm back to getting hundreds of error messages.

That implementation is just deplorable, so I go to the web site to send some feedback. That's when I decide that these guys don't get my money--there is absolutely no feedback address of any kind! It's very clear that this program isn't going to get any better. So I resolve to keep looking.

• EMail List Software $10 a month. Pass...

• Mailing List Express At $30, this one certainly isn't very expensive. I passed on it orginally, because it didn't look quite as good as the others. But since they've all fallen down, I'm back for another look.

The $30 version is pretty functional, as it turns out. The $80 version has a few additional features--notably address verification and the ability to send to overlapping lists while removing duplicates. There's also a high-performance $120 version, but I definitely don't need that one.

I downloaded the $80 trial version, and it looks like I'll be able to get the job done, but there's not a lot of joy. There are still no sort options on the columns, and in this one I can't even name the columns. So I tell it that column 1 contains the addresses, and column 2 contains the names, but they always display as "column 1" and "column 2".

Next, I paste my (long) newsletter into the little text window. Guess what? No scroll bar! I can move up and down, but this definitely a paste-only window, not an edit window.

For fun, I go to "Project Options" next. Good thing I did. I need to set up my connection settings there. There wasn't a Wizard to remind me, but that's not all bad. It let me do things in a more natural order. And this one has a place to specify SMTP port-- something that Mail"Xpert" overlooked--and which may account for its failure.

So there I was. Home free, I figured. Wrong! When I tried to send, all of the messages aborted. Why? Good question. It doesn't say. Not one friggin' clue. It has a nice little spreadsheet that shows the result of each send, but they all say "aborted". Nothing else that's any help.

I review my configuration a few times and think about about sending again. But there's another little problem--the trial version is limited to 50 messages. That's no so bad, but when I post to my list, it gives me an error message dialog for every additional address--that's a lot of additional clicks to acknowledge the error, with no ability to cancel the send! Freakin' poor design, that. I could make a trial list, of course. But the configuration looks right. So I'm not sure if it's worth experimenting with it any more.

So that's where things stand at the moment. All I want is a decent program for managing a mailing list. I'm willing to pay for it. I want to pay for it, so it will be supported. But I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Anyone have a clue?? I'm 6 months overdue on my TreeLight Health mailing list, and I can't seem to find a single product that "just works".

bug not

Nickname: bugmenot

Re: Are There No Decent Mailing List Programs? Posted: Feb 21, 2006 5:09 AM
http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/

Eric Armstrong

Re: Are There No Decent Mailing List Programs? Posted: Feb 21, 2006 7:52 AM
> http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/

>
Runs on GNU/Linux and most Un*x-like systems.

Eric Armstrong

Re: Are There No Decent Mailing List Programs? Posted: Feb 21, 2006 8:00 AM
> http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/
>
Actually, that suggestion violates two of the stated requirements--a desktop program that runs on Windows.
To quote the installation manual:

"GNU Mailman works on most POSIX-based systems
such as Unix, MacOSX, or GNU/Linux. It does not
currently work on Windows. You must have a mail
server...and a web server"
http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/node2.html

nes

Nickname: nn

Re: Are There No Decent Mailing List Programs? Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:56 PM
Eric,

been there done that... In my case I wanted something really minimalistic for my class. It probably does not quite match your use case but if you are willing to add and remove users by hand you can adapt this for the time being. (Python runtime required):

import smtplib

labnum='11'
subject='[CPTR220]: Lab '+labnum+' Grade'
gradewhat='Lab '+labnum
filename='c:/temp/lab'+labnum+'.txt'

motd='''
This is for the latest labs.

Hope you learned something:
Assembly language experience is [important] for the maturity
and understanding of how computers work that it provides.
-- D. Gries

Have a good vacation!
'''
fromaddr='yourname@example.com'
toaddr='toname@example.com'
messa ge='hello!'
guysname='mee'
grade='999'
comment=''
hosturl='smtp.example.com'

se rver=smtplib.SMTP(hosturl)
server.set_debuglevel(1)

for line in file(filename):
linepart=line.split(None,4)
toaddr=linepart[0]+'@example.com'
guysname=' '.join(linepart[1:3])
grade=linepart[3]

if len(linepart)>4:
comment=linepart[4]
else:
comment='No comments'

message=''.join([
'Subject: ',subject,'\n\n',
'Dear ',guysname,':\n\n',
'Your grade for ',gradewhat,' is: ',
grade,'/100.\nComments: ',comment,
'\n\n\n\nMessage of the day:\n',motd
])

print fromaddr
print toaddr
print message

try:
server.sendmail(fromaddr,toaddr,message)
except smtplib.SMTPRecipientsRefused:
print toaddr,'NOT Available'
raw_input('continue?')

server.quit()

nes

Re: Are There No Decent Mailing List Programs? Posted: Feb 23, 2006 4:02 PM
Beware! my word processor messed up the source code: “message” and “server” should be written together. As for the format of the input text file it is one line per record: mail name, first name, last name, grade, comment, separated by spaces.

Eric Armstrong

Re: Are There No Decent Mailing List Programs? Posted: Feb 24, 2006 10:32 AM
Thanks much for the code. Being a Java hacker, I expect I'll wind up creating a program that uses the java.mail APIs.

I excerpted the important bits below. Basically you
created a connection to an SMTP server and sent
messages to it. Yup. I can do that. I didn't *want* to.
But I can.
:_)

> import smtplib
>
> fromaddr='yourname@example.com'
> toaddr='toname@example.com'
> message='hello!'
> guysname='mee'
> grade='999'
> comment=''
> hosturl='smtp.example.com'
>
> server=smtplib.SMTP(hosturl)
> server.set_debuglevel(1)

Loop:
> try:
> server.sendmail(fromaddr,toaddr,message)
> except smtplib.SMTPRecipientsRefused:
> print toaddr,'NOT Available'
> raw_input('continue?')
EndLoop

> server.quit()

nes

Re: Are There No Decent Mailing List Programs? Posted: Feb 27, 2006 7:02 AM
> Thanks much for the code. Being a Java hacker, I expect
> I'll wind up creating a program that uses the java.mail
> APIs.
>
> I excerpted the important bits below. Basically you
> created a connection to an SMTP server and sent
> messages to it. Yup. I can do that. I didn't *want* to.
> But I can.
> :_)
>
> > import smtplib
> >
> > fromaddr='yourname@example.com'
> > toaddr='toname@example.com'
> > message='hello!'
> > guysname='mee'
> > grade='999'
> > comment=''
> > hosturl='smtp.example.com'
> >
> > server=smtplib.SMTP(hosturl)
> > server.set_debuglevel(1)
>
> Loop:
> > try:
> > server.sendmail(fromaddr,toaddr,message)
> > except smtplib.SMTPRecipientsRefused:
> > print toaddr,'NOT Available'
> > raw_input('continue?')
> EndLoop
>
> > server.quit()

Hey, you just reconstructed the evolution of the program (proof of concept) in reverse direction! I was wondering if anybody would catch that.

This being a site that deals with programming I thought it would be amusing to see some code, the point being, that what you are asking should not be that difficult to implement.

Eric Armstrong

Re: Are There No Decent Mailing List Programs? Posted: Mar 1, 2006 10:56 AM
> This being a site that deals with programming I thought it
> would be amusing to see some code, the point being, that
> what you are asking should not be that difficult to
> implement.
>
Granted. But you would have thought that such a basic problem would have been solved long before now, leaving me free to deal with the 15 other problems on my plate.
:_)

nes

Re: Are There No Decent Mailing List Programs? Posted: Mar 1, 2006 12:44 PM
>But you would have thought that such a basic
> problem would have been solved long before now, leaving me
> free to deal with the 15 other problems on my plate.
> :_)

I agree 100%

Flat View: This topic has 9 replies on 1 page
Topic: Java Posse Interview part 1 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Does Groovy Matter?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use