The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Cat version 0.9.9

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Christopher Diggins

Nickname: cdiggins

Cat version 0.9.9 (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Jan 26, 2007 1:21 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
The Cat programming language is fast approaching 1.0 status!
Advertisement

I have recently posted a new version of the Cat interpreter (http://www.cat-language.com/download.html) so that people at large can start poking and prodding it with a stick before I release it as 1.0.

For those unfamiliar with Cat, it is a functional stack-based programming language with a type system. It looks like if ML and Forth had a baby. it is a very concise and powerful language. It is a pure functional language, but still allows side-effects in a very controlled manner (without all of the confusing Monad stuff that Haskell has).

The Cat interpreter is entirely public domain (that means you can do virtually whatever you want with it without obligations or restrictions). The source code is written in C# and is tested on Mono (but only on my Windows implementation of it). I'd be curious how it works out for people on other systems.

The type system underwent a recent redesign, but the language works great even without a type checker. I plan on reintroducing the type-checking and type-inference engine in version 2.0. However the semantics of the type system have been ratified, and are explained at least semi-formally at http://www.cat-language.com/semantics.html.

Please share your thoughts, suggestions, questions and criticisms!

Topic: Cat version 0.9.9 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: CodeMash

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use