The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Python 3000 alpha 1 Released!

11 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Nov 15, 2007 1:55 PM by Guido van van Rossum

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 11 replies on 1 page
Guido van van Rossum

Nickname: guido

Python 3000 alpha 1 Released! (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 10:04 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
The first Python 3000 release is out -- Python 3.0a1. Be the first one on your block to download it!
Advertisement

The first Python 3000 release is out -- Python 3.0a1. Be the first one on your block to download it!

http://python.org/download/releases/3.0/

Excerpts

Python 3000 (a.k.a. "Py3k", and released as Python 3.0) is a new version of the language that is incompatible with the 2.x line of releases. The language is mostly the same, but many details, especially how built-in objects like dictionaries and strings work, have changed considerably, and a lot of deprecated features have finally been removed.

This is an ongoing project; the cleanup isn't expected to be complete until 2008. In particular there are plans to reorganize the standard library namespace.

The release plan is to have a series of alpha releases in 2007, beta releases in 2008, and a final release in August 2008. The alpha releases are primarily aimed at developers who want a sneak peek at the new langauge, especially those folks who plan to port their code to Python 3000. The hope is that by the time of the final release, many 3rd party packages will already be available in a 3.0-compatible form.

Eduardo de Oliveira Padoan

Nickname: edcrypt

Re: Python 3000 alpha 1 Released! Posted: Aug 31, 2007 10:25 AM
Spreading the word:
http://www.advogato.org/person/eopadoan/diary/1.html

Thanks! Python 3.0 rocks.

Noah Gift

Nickname: noahgift

Re: Python 3000 alpha 1 Released! Posted: Aug 31, 2007 5:16 PM
Already downloaded! Thanks for the hard work.

alpha alpha

Nickname: alpha512

Re: Python 3000 alpha 1 Released! Posted: Aug 31, 2007 7:06 PM
Dear Guido van Rossum and Python community this is awesome news!. I has looking forward for this release of Python since longtime but now is a reality. Keep the good work with this awesome technology and beautiful programming language. Python is my prefered programming language. Best Wishes.

Paparipote Tamparantan

Nickname: paparipote

Re: Python 3000 alpha 1 Released! Posted: Aug 31, 2007 7:14 PM
Congratulations!!! I know it was a hard and very coordinated work because I was looking at the mailing list frequently.

Only a question please, I have Python 2.5 installed in my windows XP machine and I would like to install Python 3a1. I think I could have troubles at the Windows Registry level. Did anybody tried to do so?

Thanks!!

Martin v. Löwis

Nickname: loewis

Re: Python 3000 alpha 1 Released! Posted: Aug 31, 2007 11:12 PM
> I have Python 2.5 installed in my
> windows XP machine and I would like to install Python 3a1.
> I think I could have troubles at the Windows Registry
> level. Did anybody tried to do so?

I did, and it works fine - you can always have multiple "major" versions of Python installed concurrently (e.g. 2.4, 2.5, 3.0). They mostly don't interfere with each other, except for the extensions (.py, .pyc, .pyw). When installing 3.0, you have the choice of either associating these extensions with 3.0 or not, through the "Register Extensions" feature.

When you install 3.0 with registering the extensions, then uninstall, it won't automatically revert them to 2.5. Instead, you need to run "Repair" for 2.5 (or whatever version you want to restore) from "Add and Remove Software".

Francesco Guerrieri

Nickname: francescog

Re: Python 3000 alpha 1 Released! Posted: Sep 1, 2007 5:38 AM
I can confirm: the two installations live well together on windows :-)
And the print function is great.
Now I want to try the conversion tool...
Thanks for all the work!
Francesco

Berco Beute

Nickname: berco

Re: Python 3000 alpha 1 Released! Posted: Sep 3, 2007 12:57 AM
"Van harte" with this milestone! Thank you for all the effort you have put into creating such a wonderful programming language.

For what it's worth: I'll do all I can to promote it amongst my java and c# coworkers.

Bulkan Evcimen

Nickname: bulkan

Re: Python 3000 alpha 1 Released! Posted: Sep 3, 2007 4:09 PM
From all the way from Australia i would like to congratulate you and all the Python community on this release!

I have successfully compiled it on Mac OS X 10.4.10!

Cheers

David Vydra

Nickname: dvydra

Re: Python 3000 alpha 1 Released! Posted: Sep 7, 2007 2:54 PM
Any desire to support this version on the JVM / Jython? Can JVM be thought of as just another OS?

David
www.itarra.com

Guillem Cantallops Ramis

Nickname: guillem

My hovercraft is full of eels :-P Posted: Nov 15, 2007 1:52 PM
I just know the basic language, and I'd like to improve my Python skills during the next months. Would you recommend Py3k as a target, using the alphas and betas (and evolving documentation) to experiment? I don't mind the quirks and glitches, and I'm compiling alpha1 right now. But... how fast will people start using it? Ok, you don't know, but what do you think? Will it be "marketable" soon? O:-)

Guido van van Rossum

Nickname: guido

Re: My hovercraft is full of eels :-P Posted: Nov 15, 2007 1:55 PM
> I just know the basic language, and I'd like to improve my
> Python skills during the next months. Would you recommend
> Py3k as a target, using the alphas and betas (and evolving
> documentation) to experiment? I don't mind the quirks and
> glitches, and I'm compiling alpha1 right now. But... how
> fast will people start using it? Ok, you don't know, but
> what do you think? Will it be "marketable" soon? O:-)

I think you'd be better off honing your skills using 2.5. 3.0 won't be marketable for another year, unless you want to contribute to the Py3k project itself.

BTW everyone using 3.0a1, bytes will become immutable in 3.0a2. See http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-3137/

Flat View: This topic has 11 replies on 1 page
Topic: Python 3000 alpha 1 Released! Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Open-book Interviews with Googling as a Skill

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use