The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Things to Know About Python Super [3 of 3]

4 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Apr 13, 2010 4:24 AM by kedra marbun

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Michele Simionato

Nickname: micheles

Things to Know About Python Super [3 of 3] (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 2:37 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
This final installment documents other subtle and somewhat surprising features of Python's super.
Advertisement

Working with super is tricky, not only because of the quirks and bugs of super itself, but also because you are likely to run into some gray area of the Python language itself. In particular, in order to understand how super works, you need to understand really well how attribute lookup works, including the tricky cases of special attributes and metaclass attributes. Moreover, even if you know perfectly well how super works, interacting with a third party library using (or not using) super is still non-obvious. At the end, I am led to believe that the problem is not super, but the whole concept of multiple inheritance and cooperative methods in Python.

Special attributes are special

This issue came up at least three or four times in the Python newsgroup, and there are various independent bug reports on sourceforge about it, you may face it too. Bjorn Pettersen was the first one who pointed out the problem to me (see also bug report 729913): the issue is that

super(MyCls, self).__getitem__(5)

works, but not

super(MyCls, self)[5].

The problem is general to all special methods, not only to __getitem__ and it is a consequence of the implementation of attribute lookup for special methods. Clear explanations of what is going on are provided by Michael Hudson as a comment to the bug report: 789262 and by Raymond Hettinger as a comment to the bug report 805304. Shortly put, this is not a problem of super per se, the problem is that the special call x[5] (using __getitem__ as example) is converted to type(x).__getitem__(x,5) only if __getitem__ is explicitely defined in type(x). If type(x) does not define __getitem__ directly, but only indirectly via delegation (i.e. overriding __getattribute__), then the second form works but not the first one.

This restriction will likely stay in Python, so it has to be considered just a documentation bug, since nowhere in the docs it is mentioned that special calling syntaxes (such as the [] call, the iter call, the repr call, etc. etc.) are special and bypass __getattribute__. The advice is: just use the more explicit form and everything will work.

super does not work with meta-attributes

Even when super is right, its behavior may be surprising, unless you are deeply familiar with the intricacies of the Python object model. For instance, super does not play well with the __name__ attribute of classes, even if it works well for the __doc__ attribute and other regular class attributes. Consider this example:

>>> class B(object):
...     "This is class B"
>>> class C(B):
...     pass

The special (class) attribute __doc__ is retrieved as you would expect:

>>> super(C, C).__doc__ == B.__doc__
True

On the other hand, the special attribute __name__ is not retrieved correctly:

>>> super(C, C).__name__ # one would expect it to be 'B'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
AttributeError: 'super' object has no attribute '__name__'

The problem is that __name__ is not just a plain class attribute: it is actually a getset descriptor defined on the metaclass type (try to run help(type.__dict__['__name__']) and you will see it for yourself). More in general, super has problems with meta-attributes, i.e. class attributes of metaclasses.

Meta-attributes differs from regular attributes since they are not transmitted to the instances of the instances. Consider this example:

class M(type):
    "A metaclass with a class attribute 'a'."
    a = 1

class B:
    "An instance of M with a meta-attribute 'a'."
    __metaclass__ = M

class C(B):
    "An instance of M with the same meta-attribute 'a'"

if __name__ == "__main__":
    print B.a, C.a # => 1 1
    print super(C,C).a #=> attribute error

If you run this, you will get an attribute error. This is a case where super is doing the right thing, since 'a' is not inherited from B, but it comes directly from the metaclass, so 'a' is not in the MRO of C. A similar thing happens for the __name__ attribute (the fact that it is a descriptor and not a plain attribute does not matter), so super is working correctly, but still it may seems surprising at first. You can find the rationale for this behaviour in my second article with David Mertz; in the case of __name__ it is obvious though: you don't want all of your objects to have a name, even if all your classes do.

There are certainly other bugs and pitfalls which I have not mentioned here because I think are not worth mention, or because I have forgot them, or also because I am not aware of them all. So, be careful when you use super, especially in earlier versions of Python.

Remember to use super consistently

Some years ago James Knight wrote an essay titled Super considered harmful where he points out a few shortcomings of super and he makes an important recommendation: use super consistently, and document that you use it, as it is part of the external interface for your class, like it or not. The issue is that a developer inheriting from a hierarchy written by somebody else has to know if the hierarchy uses super internally or not. For instance, consider this case, where the library author has used super internally:

# library_using_super

class A(object):
    def __init__(self):
        print "A",
        super(A, self).__init__()

class B(object):
    def __init__(self):
        print "B",
        super(B, self).__init__()

If the application programmer knows that the library uses super internally, she will use super and everything will work just fine; but it she does not know if the library uses super she may be tempted to call A.__init__ and B.__init__ directly, but this will end up in having B.__init__ called twice!

>>> from library_using_super import A, B
>>> class C(A, B):
...     def __init__(self):
...         print "C",
...         A.__init__(self)
...         B.__init__(self)
>>> c = C()
C A B B

On the other hand, if the library does not uses super internally,

# library_not_using_super

class A(object):
    def __init__(self):
        print "A",

class B(object):
    def __init__(self):
        print "B",

the application programmer cannot use super either, otherwise B.__init__ will not be called:

>>> from library_not_using_super import A, B
>>> class C(A,B):
...     def __init__(self):
...         print "C",
...         super(C, self).__init__()
>>> c = C()
C A

So, if you use classes coming from a library in a multiple inheritance situation, you must know if the classes were intended to be cooperative (using super) or not. Library author should always document their usage of super.

Argument passing in cooperative methods can fool you

James Knight devolves a paragraph to the discussion of argument passing in cooperative methods. Basically, if you want to be safe, all your cooperative methods should have a compatible signature. There are various ways of getting a compatible signature, for instance you could accept everything (i.e. your cooperative methods could have signature *args, **kw) which is a bit too much for me, or all of your methods could have exactly the same arguments. The issue comes when you have default arguments, since your MRO can change if you change your hierarchy, and argument passing may break down. Here is an example:

"An example of argument passing in cooperative methods"

class A(object):
    def __init__(self):
        print 'A'

class B(A):
    def __init__(self, a=None):
        print 'B with a=%s' % a
        super(B, self).__init__(a)

class C(A):
    def __init__(self, a):
        print 'C with a=%s' % a
        super(C, self).__init__()

class D(B, C):
    def __init__(self):
        print 'D'
        super(D, self).__init__()
>>> from cooperation_ex import D
>>> d = D()
D
B with a=None
C with a=None
A

This works, but it is fragile (you see what will happen if you change D(B, C) with D(C, B)?) and in general it is always difficult to figure out which arguments will be passed to each method and in which order so it is best just to use the same arguments everywhere (or not to use cooperative methods altogether, if you have no need for cooperation). There is no shortage of examples of trickiness in multiple inheritance hierarchies; for instance I remember a post from comp.lang.python about the fragility of super when changing the base class.

Also, beware of situations in which you have some old style classes mixing with new style classes: the result may depend on the order of the base classes (see examples 2-2b and 2-3b in Super considered harmful).

UPDATE: the introduction of Python 2.6 made the special methods __new__ and __init__ even more brittle with respect to cooperative super calls.

Starting from Python 2.6 the special methods __new__ and __init__ of object do not take any argument, whereas previously the had a generic signature, but all the arguments were ignored. That means that it is very easy to get in trouble if your constructors take arguments. Here is an example:

class A(object):
    def __init__(self, a):
        super(A, self).__init__() # object.__init__ cannot take arguments
class B(object):
    def __init__(self, a):
        super(B, self).__init__() # object.__init__ cannot take arguments
class C(A, B):
    def __init__(self, a):
        super(C, self).__init__(a) # A.__init__ takes one argument

As you see, this cannot work: when self is an instance of C, super(A, self).__init__() will call B.__init__ without arguments, resulting in a TypeError. In older Python you could avoid that by passing a to the super calls, since object.__init__ could be called with any number of arguments. This problem was recently pointed out by Menno Smits in his blog and there is no way to solve it in Python 2.6, unless you change all of your classes to inherit from a custom Object class with an __init__ accepting all kind of arguments, i.e. basically reverting back to the Python 2.5 situation.

Conclusion: is there life beyond super?

In this series I have argued that super is tricky; I think nobody can dispute that. However the existence of dark corners is not a compelling argument against a language construct: after all, they are rare and there is an easy solution to their obscurity, i.e. documenting them. This is what I have being doing all along. On the other hand, one may wonder if all super warts aren't hints of some serious problem underlying. It may well be that the problem is not with super, nor with cooperative methods: the problem may be with multiple inheritance itself.

I personally liked super, cooperative methods and multiple inheritance for a couple of years, then I started working with Zope and my mind changed completely. Zope 2 did not use super at all but is a mess anyway, so the problem is multiple inheritance itself. Inheritance makes your code heavily coupled and difficult to follow (spaghetti inheritance). I have not found a real life problem yet that I could not solve with single inheritance + composition/delegation in a better and more maintainable way than using multiple inheritance. Nowadays I am very careful when using multiple inheritance.

People should be educated about the issues; moreover people should be aware that there are alternative to multiple inheritance in other languages. For instance Ruby uses mixins (they are a restricted multiple inheritance without cooperative methods and with a well defined superclass, but they do not solve the issue of name conflicts and the issue with the ordering of the mixin classes); recently some people proposed the concepts of traits (restricted mixin where name conflicts must be solved explicitely and the ordering of the mixins does not matter) which is interesting.

In CLOS multiple inheritance works better since (multi-)methods are defined outside classes and call-next-method is well integrated in the language; it is simpler to track down the ancestors of a single method than to wonder about the full class hierarchy. The language SML (which nobody except academics use, but would deserve better recognition) goes boldly in the direction of favoring composition over inheritance and uses functors to this aim.

Recently I have written a trilogy of papers for Stacktrace discussing why multiple inheritance and mixins are a bad idea and suggesting alternatives. I plan to translate the series and to publish here in the future. For the moment you can use the Google Translator. The series starts from here and it is a recommended reading if you ever had troubles with mixins.

Jörn Zaefferer

Nickname: jzaefferer

Re: Things to Know About Super [3] Posted: Aug 24, 2008 11:51 PM
Its one thing to reduce the RSS feed to just the title and a extremely short blurb, in order to get people visiting the site itself (though ads in RSS feeds are now rather common), but another to make the title/blur so obscure that its impossible to guess what it is about. I don't care about Python.

Raoul Duke

Nickname: raoulduke

Re: Things to Know About Super [3] Posted: Aug 26, 2008 12:55 PM
yup, the summary: MI can be a bad thing! is true and goes beyond just Python, and indeed asks if we should use inheritance at all - a question relevant to many languages.

Scala has traits/mixins. O'Caml (you mentioned SML should get outside of academia, O'Caml is that beast in deed) wants you to stay away from inheritance, which is great but only if the language gives you the tools to make delegation easy and robust.

it boggles my mind that Java C# etc. do not offer good ways to do delegation. hence lots of coupled, painful code running around the world.

Michele Simionato

Nickname: micheles

Re: Things to Know About Python Super [3 of 3] Posted: Jan 30, 2010 10:05 PM
I have added an update concerning a very serious shortcoming with cooperative constructors introduced in Python 2.6. This waspointed out by Menno Smits yesterday in his blog.

kedra marbun

Nickname: kedra

Re: Things to Know About Python Super [3 of 3] Posted: Apr 13, 2010 4:24 AM
here's an impl of 'super' in pure py. it's a result of 1-month learning though, don't expect too much, but let me know if something wrong

class zuper:
__slots__ = ()

def __init__(self, cls=None, obj=None, *rest):
if rest: raise TypeError('takes at most 2 args')

if cls is None:
fr = sys._getframe(1)

if '__class__' not in fr.f_code.co_freevars:
raise SystemError('no args')
cls = fr.f_locals['__class__']

co = fr.f_code
if isinstance(cls.__dict__[co.co_name], staticmethod):
raise SystemError('no args')

#co_varnames always put args first &
#in the same order as in code obj?
obj = fr.f_locals[co.co_varnames[0]]
else:
if not isinstance(cls, type):
raise TypeError('must be type, not ' + cls.__class__)
if obj is not None:
if isinstance(obj, type):
if not issubclass(obj, cls):
raise TypeError('obj must be ins / subclass')
else:
if not isinstance(obj, cls):

__class__.__thisclass__ = property(lambda self: cls)
__class__.__self__ = property(lambda self: obj)
__class__.__self_class__ = property(lambda self: None) if obj is None \
else property(lambda self: obj) if \
isinstance(obj, type) else \
property(lambda self: obj.__class__)

def __getattribute__(self, name):
if name in ('__thisclass__', '__self__', '__self_class__', '__get__', \
'__class__'):
return object.__getattribute__(self, name)

if self.__self__ is None: #for __expr__ & __getattribute__
return object.__getattribute__(self, name)

for parent in self.__thisclass__.__mro__[1:]:
try:
v = parent.__dict__[name]
except KeyError:
continue

if hasattr(v, '__code__'):
if isinstance(self.__self__, type): return v
else: return types.MethodType(v, self.__self__)
elif isinstance(v, staticmethod):
return v.__func__
elif isinstance(v, classmethod):
return types.MethodType(v.__func__, self.__self_class__)
#+_descriptor
elif hasattr(v, '__objclass__'):
if isinstance(self.__self__, type): return v
else: return types.MethodType(v, self.__self__)
else:
return v

raise AttributeError

def __get__(self, obj, cls):
if obj is None:
if cls is None: raise TypeError('__get__(None, None) is invalid')
return self
else:
if isinstance(obj, type):
if not issubclass(obj, self.__thisclass__):
else:
if not isinstance(obj, self.__thisclass__):

return __class__(self.__thisclass__, obj)

def __repr__(self):
return '<super: %s, %s>' % (self.__thisclass__, 'NULL' if self.__self__ is None else self.__self__)

point me to other major warts, i need to balance my judgement on py

Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Topic: Software Reusability: Myth Or Reality? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Programming in the Mid-Future

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use