The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Just good service (?)

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Feb 23, 2009 4:40 PM by John Cowan

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Matthew Wilson

Nickname: bigboy

Just good service (?) (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 3:27 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
A couple of plugs, with no ulterior motive, and a mildly philosophical musing.
Advertisement

In the face of globalisation, and the ubiquitous reduction of service standards to an almost imperceptible level, it's heartening when one happens across an exception to the rule. I've been fortunate to have two in recent weeks. Even nicer when you consider that they're two of the largest companies in their respective areas.

First, Amazon.co.uk replaced a DVD box-set, wherein one of the discs had been transcribed with a duplicate, without any issue. The replacement arrived here (Australia) in less than a week, with the suggestion that we could either keep the original defective set, or give it to a suitable charity.

Second, one of my few remaining Windows workstations carked it recently, and Dell were here to effect the fix - a new power supply, as it happens - the next day.

Neither of these should be noteworthy in the slightest, but for the fact that almost all organisations one deals with these days - large software companies (with and without QWAN), telcos/ISPs, banks, insurance companies, regional/state/federal govt., etc. - tend to royally scr3w one seven ways from Sunday without the slightest compunction.

Well done Amazon and Dell!

(Before you ask: No, I'm not looking for a job, or any free products, from either of them. ;-)

You may be asking what this has to do with software engineering? Well, nothing really, other than that my company always tries to operate the same way, and it seems to have served us well so far. For sure, we're not world leaders in market share (or mindshare, for that matter) by any stretch of the imagination, but we have equally happy customers. Nonetheless, in these days of cost cutting, out-sourced code monkeying, and dropping quality standards, I often wonder whether the strategy of aiming to build software that does not break is the best way to secure revenue. I've never yet been tempted to do it otherwise, but I'm intrigued by the question nonetheless. Given the recent Joel Spolsky <-> Robert C. Martin fisticuffs, it seems like this is a question that has yet to find a definitive answer. What do you think?

John Cowan

Nickname: johnwcowan

Re: Just good service (?) Posted: Feb 23, 2009 4:40 PM
Reply to this message Reply
I have *always* had excellent customer service from Amazon when it comes to defective products. One book had a very subtle problem: two signatures (groups of pages) were the same, so that instead of (say) pp. 33-48, I had two copies of pp. 16-32. They replaced it without a twinge, and without even asking me to return the bad copy.

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: The Adventures of a Pythonista in Schemeland/16 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: PyConTre Italy

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use