The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Consumer Electronics and Netbooks - A Clarification

6 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: May 20, 2010 5:25 AM by fuller niede

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 6 replies on 1 page
John McClain

Nickname: pdp8

Consumer Electronics and Netbooks - A Clarification (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Mar 21, 2009 2:19 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
More on how and why netbooks might impact consumer electronics.
Advertisement

After re-reading my post, Will PCs (Start) to Replace Consumer Electronics?, and reading the first comment I realized the title could be easily misinterpreted. One interpretation of the title is that consumer electronics will move to a "PC software model" where consumers install and manage competing applications on a single device. The notion I was trying convey was quite different - that with netbooks we will see dedicated, single function PCs (or their equivalent) filling roles that used to be filled by "devices" and that consumer electronics will move to a model where generic Intel x86 based hardware replaces the custom, usually non-x86, embedded hardware that dominates now.

As a software developer this is interesting because we will have the opportunity to enter the consumer electronics space with an (almost?) pure software play. Developers will be able to do consumer electronic like things without taking on the burden and risk of designing and producing custom hardware. A key part of being "consumer electronic like" is making the software disappear. This is why the availability of small, cheap hardware is key. Once the hardware is cheap and small enough that it can be dedicated to a particular application the software can become much simpler, easier to use, and generally user maintenance free.

James Watson

Nickname: watson

Re: Consumer Electronics and Netbooks - A Clarification Posted: Mar 22, 2009 5:41 PM
I think a lot of this depends on the continuing improvements to linux. Take Tivo for example. It's a linux box. I interviewed a candidate a while back who was telling us how his current work was in moving a device from windows to linux. Basically it came down to cost. The cost of installing windows on each on of their units was eating into their profits. It seems clear to me that the future lies with linux in general. And I'm really not a big linux geek. I'm fairly indifferent to the OS I'm using but I don't see how Microsoft and Apple will justify the cost of their operating systems in the near future.

John McClain

Nickname: pdp8

Re: Consumer Electronics and Netbooks - A Clarification Posted: Mar 23, 2009 5:30 PM
I agree that Linux is likely to play a major role. I think it isn't just the costs but also its customizability.

Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

Re: Consumer Electronics and Netbooks - A Clarification Posted: Mar 29, 2009 10:37 AM
It seems like this is already happening: Wireless network providers are already offering netbooks, presumably as an alternative to smartphones. For instance:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10206584-1.html

One of the challenges, though, is that people might still expect netbooks to provide the user experience of a typical laptop. Just as people have graduated to larger screen sizes, and Web sites design and even applications adjusted to that, netbooks now push us back to the era when you had to design a Web site, or some other consumer UI, to various screen sizes. This sort of fragmentation is already a big issue on traditional mobile devices, and this just adds to the complexity.

george black

Nickname: george11

Consumer Priority Service - How many years of coverage should I buy for my Posted: Jan 4, 2010 4:26 AM
I recently purchased a Apple MacBook Pro 17" online. It costs me $2299 plus shipping. If thr unit should have an issue over the next few years I want to be fully covered so I will be purchasing the Consumer Priority Service extended warranty as well. The online dealer offers a 2 year or a 3 year for about $100 more, Is it worth the extra money for the 3 year warranty?

Vincent O'Sullivan

Nickname: vincent

Re: Consumer Priority Service - How many years of coverage should I buy for my Posted: Jan 5, 2010 1:55 AM
> The online dealer offers a 2
> year or a 3 year for about $100 more, Is it worth the
> extra money for the 3 year warranty?

Basically, you're placing a $100 bet that your laptop will fail during it's third year. If you're a gambling person, think the odds are in your favour and are happy with $100 bets then go for it.

fuller niede

Nickname: fuller

Re: Consumer Electronics and Netbooks - A Clarification Posted: May 20, 2010 5:25 AM
I think a warranty of about 2 to 3 years is enough to buy, whether it is an Apple Mac Book or for that reason, any other accessory. Spending something around $100 is a profitable deal considering the importance and cost of an Apple Mac book. You are not going to buy it everyday, hence it is better to buy an extended warranty and get the problem sorted out if there exists any, rather than to spend even more money in purchasing another notebook.

Flat View: This topic has 6 replies on 1 page
Topic: EuroPython 2010 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Announcing the Reinventing Business Blog

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use