The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Google Chrome Changes the Game

28 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Sep 16, 2009 11:25 PM by Piotr Kochanski

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 28 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1 2 ]
art src

Nickname: articulate

Re: Deeper OS Connections Posted: Aug 27, 2009 7:13 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
It is not clear the Google will technically tie the OS to the browser, only that they will ship them together.

art src

Nickname: articulate

Re: Google Chrome Changes the Game Posted: Aug 27, 2009 7:17 PM
Microsoft has a history of trying to win.

This can easily include providing a low cost version of Windows. And not quite so quickly, a low resource Windows versions for NetBooks.

The vendor I spoke to yesterday said $20 for the Windows license. NetBooks, like other will grow in capability. So both these issues will likely disappear.

James Ward

Nickname: jlward4th

Re: Google Chrome Changes the Game Posted: Aug 27, 2009 9:38 PM
I see the Chrome OS as essentially a Web appliance. For some things this is all you need. And if so then it will be a great potential replacement for a typical desktop OS.

Miles Whitener

Nickname: mwhitener

Re: Google Chrome Changes the Game Posted: Aug 28, 2009 7:39 AM
We now have many years of experience with how Microsoft develops and delivers tools, APIs and frameworks. How much knowledge do we have of Google's internal practices? How much experience is out there programming against Google-produced APIs and frameworks? I get the bad feeling that somehow Google has amazingly cobbled together a working enterprise with lots of scripts ... if so they are going to hit a wall, hard. The productivity advantage of MS tools is important. Even many ex-Java people consider .NET better and more productive than Java. Script languages typically don't scale well to projects with lots of developers. The range and history of software product deliveries produced by Microsoft dwarfs what Google has done to date.

What's the answer to those concerns?

Bill Pyne

Nickname: billpyne

Re: Google Chrome Changes the Game Posted: Aug 28, 2009 8:32 AM
> Script languages typically don't scale well to projects
> s with lots of developers.

I'm sorry Miles but I had a hard time following. Are you claiming Chrome is script language based?

Miles Whitener

Re: Google Chrome Changes the Game Posted: Aug 28, 2009 11:51 AM
> hard time following. Are you claiming Chrome is script language based?

Bill,

No. I mixed several concerns in a hurry. The concerns about script are approximately
- I believe the Chrome rich UI strategy is centered on JavaScript, with a lot of focus on the JS engine optimizing some code to be as fast as a traditionally-compiled language such as C. But I am skeptical about any idea of large code bases in JavaScript, at this point anyway.
- I was of the impression that a lot of Google's back end is written in very dynamic languages, again raising concerns about scalability of the development effort

It's notable that Scala is very popular in this forum. I believe it addresses these concerns. But I don't know how relevant it is to Google's efforts, or what its level of acceptance is going to be among programmers and tool makers.

Arun Janardhanan

Nickname: arunkj

Re: Google Chrome Changes the Game Posted: Aug 29, 2009 9:17 AM
I don't expect to see a major shift in the game once chrome OS comes out. I don't want to spend 300 bucks for an equipment that just lets me surf the web. I can spend a couple of hundreds more and get a normal laptop instead. Google has been advertising Chrome OS on their main page for quite some time. It's free, small and easy to download. How many people do actually end up using it daily? Till now I don't see a pressing need to switch from firefox to chrome.

I think the similar argument should apply to Chrome netbooks as well. What does it offer that I don't find in the market right now? I don't think money is going to matter much to people. Ten years ago there used to be a bunch of players in the portable mp3 player market. Now effectively there is only one. Apple. Is that because Ipods were cheap? No. So price alone can't make any dent.

I would argue that people would just spend a few bucks more and buy something that can do a little better. I don't think the current Web2/HTML5/Flash/Whatever web is complete enough to spend the money on such a gadget.

Gregg Wonderly

Nickname: greggwon

Re: Google Chrome Changes the Game Posted: Aug 29, 2009 8:45 PM
I've personally given up on the who MS world because of Vista, and I see so many others doing what I did, jump to Mac. It's really a pleasant surprise what you can find when you look around sometimes. Everyone is chasing Apple these days.

The MS commercials are targeting the choice of Mac directly, and google seems to be distancing themselves from Apple in an attempt to have something differentiating the two. That's kinda sad, because they'd actually do well together it seems to me.

Wolfgang Lipp

Nickname: wolf2005

Re: Google Chrome Changes the Game Posted: Aug 30, 2009 12:03 AM
running native code while keeping portability is a sadly underestimated topic. the browser (and, after it, the browser-os) is the n-th iteration in attempts to ship functionality to clients. from the other side come flash and javascript.

Wolfgang Lipp

Nickname: wolf2005

Re: Google Chrome Changes the Game Posted: Aug 30, 2009 12:07 AM
i think one should pressure for google making these applications available for charge or if they want for free. it should be possible to choose to run one's own copy, thereby denying any right on data to google.

Bill Pyne

Nickname: billpyne

Re: Google Chrome Changes the Game Posted: Aug 31, 2009 8:53 AM
Thanks for the clarification Miles.

I've only read about their use of C++ and don't remember what modules were talked about. If you have any links, please post them. I'd like to read more.

Miles Whitener

Re: Google Chrome Changes the Game Posted: Aug 31, 2009 11:10 AM
Bill, you might want to web-search something like

google chrome javascript silverlight flash

for info on the issues.

Here's a link to one pontification that states among other things "I believe we will witness the emergence of Javascript as the dominant language of computing"

http://blogs.zoho.com/uncategorized/firefox-31-google-chrome-javascript-wins-flashsilverlight-lose

It's this sort of expectation that I am questioning. Responders to the post may also question it.

jon hanson

Nickname: jonhanson

Re: Google Chrome Changes the Game Posted: Sep 9, 2009 4:20 AM
"I believe we will witness the emergence of Javascript as the dominant language of computing"

Good grief, one of the four horsemen of the software development apocalypse, surely.

Piotr Kochanski

Nickname: piokoch

Re: Google Chrome Changes the Game Posted: Sep 16, 2009 11:25 PM
Hmm, $150 for Windows7 on a Netbook. I guess OEMs would get it for something like $30-60.

The other thing is that selling Windows with a netbook allows distributor to put there sharware trials from various vendors, who has to pay for this.

As a result netbook with Windows might cost even less than netbook with a free operating system. This is something that Linux people could not get: Windows is not only Microsoft, but thousands of companies selling useful software and millions od people, who are ready to buy it.

Even if Windows7 netbook is more expensive, people will be paying for it to get something they know, use at work, works with every piece of hardware one can imagine.

I am really curious how GoogleOS will be dealing with all nasty OS maintainance problems: patches, backward compatibility, etc. If they follow Linux practice, that is "install new version", then GoogleOS would join Linux on it 1% adoption shelf.

Flat View: This topic has 28 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1  2 ]
Topic: Percolating Nones in Scala Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: First Steps in Flex: 6 Screencasts Available

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use