The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
First Steps In Flex Screencasts

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jun 27, 2010 6:15 PM by Steve Bailey

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

First Steps In Flex Screencasts (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Feb 3, 2010 12:44 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Just over a year ago, James Ward & I published "First Steps in Flex." Our goal was to make Flex easy by creating the shortest examples and chapters we could, to give you just enough to get started. We've just finished making free screencasts of all the chapters in the book.
Advertisement

So far we've had great feedback on the book. The concise examples seem to resonate with the way that programmers learn.

When I wrote Thinking in Java, I initially tried the experiment of giving the book away as a promotion to sell seminars and CDs. With First Steps in Flex, we decided to try the reverse experiment -- give away an electronic seminar as a promotion for the book. This is a bit upside-down because, ordinarily, the e-seminar is the high ticket item, what you "upsell" towards. But this being the internet, we can try it out and see what happens.

We've tried to cover each chapter fairly completely. In theory, you could just use the e-seminars and get the same information. We took a casual, unscripted approach to the screencasts, so it feels like you are sitting in the room with us as we discuss the code.

Here's what it looks like (click on the image below to take you to the actual application, at which point you can click on any of the lessons to immediately begin viewing them; the viewer app for the screencasts was created with Flex 4):

First Steps in Flex Screencasts

Steve Bailey

Nickname: djangflex0

Re: First Steps In Flex Screencasts Posted: Jun 27, 2010 6:15 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Hi Bruce,
Thanks for all your articles and books, etc.

Was wondering what your thoughts are on choosing between Flex and the more and more hyped HTML5, when it comes to writing small/medium-sized utility or productivity Web-based apps.

I'm thinking that the ability to compile Flex applications into Adobe AIR makes it worthwhile to invest time into the latest Flex framework library, due to the extra appeal of having an instant Desktop App that works on the 3 major desktop OS's.

I've been spending some time on HTML5 tutorials, however Flex seems so much more productive due to not having to be concerned w/browser inconsistencies.

That's it, just thinking out loud
If you're able to comment, great, if not no problem.
Steve

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: Do Career Plans for Developers Actually Damage an Organisation? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Java 3D Fun with Groovy

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use