The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Some Insights From Europe

3 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Dec 5, 2011 3:28 PM by Matej Cepl

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

Some Insights From Europe (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Oct 20, 2011 8:37 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
I posted this on Reinventing-Business.com because it seemed more appropriate, but there are some items that might be of interest to readers here (especially the observations about the Stockholm user groups)
Advertisement

Here's the link.

Alexis Gallagher

Nickname: 78110

Richard Gabriel Posted: Oct 21, 2011 1:58 AM
Bruce,

I wish there was video of the talk -- the slides are intriguing.

Your first slide says you're interested in structures that increase creativity and productivity, and I know you've done some theatre and visited gatherings like Burning Man. Speaking just of the creativity side, I was wondering if you know the work of Richard Gabriel.

He was an important figure in the early days of Lisp, has done significant technical work, has run a company, and has written very intelligently about the technical and social aspects of making software. What makes him unusual, is that he's also a trained poet and (like yourself) an excellent writer.

He makes the point that, in the arts, people are trained in the use of certain creative processes that are also relevant for software development -- processes for routinely working with surprise and the non-routine. I am myself an actor and a software developer, and his observations all ring true to me.

I think you'd appreciate his work. His book Patterns in Software is a good read, as are his essays. I wonder -- why not reach out to him? It's all available on his website: http://www.dreamsongs.com/.

Alexis

Matej Cepl

Nickname: mcepl

Re: Some Insights From Europe Posted: Dec 5, 2011 3:27 PM
Just one geography lesson for an American: Guido is Dutch, and Netherlands are definitively not a Scandinavian country. Otherwise, nice observation about stretching the brain by traveling. It is really painful.

Matej Cepl

Nickname: mcepl

Re: Some Insights From Europe Posted: Dec 5, 2011 3:28 PM
... and Niklaus (yes, with 'k') Wirth is Swiss.

Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Topic: Why I'm Returning My Kindle Fire Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Self in the Argument List: Redundant is not Explicit

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use