The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
How I Became The Perverted Singularity

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
David Goodger

Nickname: goodger

How I Became The Perverted Singularity (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Apr 2, 2004 5:32 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
And how you can become one, too... or discover that you already are
Advertisement

Back in the mid-80's when I was in high school, some evangelical kook from the south came up with the notion that there was a "Moral Majority". They felt they had the right to dictate to the rest of the world how to think and feel. Being a literal-minded lad, I -- along with many others, I'm sure -- took their logic a step further and determined that the existence of a Moral Majority implied -- necessitated -- the existence of an "Immoral Minority". You know who you are.

Which camp did I belong to? As a hot-and-red-blooded Canadian teenager with all the natural urges and tendencies (and perhaps a few unnatural), under the influence of my peers and the media, there was no way I was going to submit to the label "Moral". So I chose the path of immorality. But the vision of a teenager is skewed, and I couldn't conceive that anyone else could be quite as immoral as I, in thought if not in deed (due to lack of opportunity, experience, or guts, take your pick). So I took the logic to its ultimate conclusion, and took on the moniker and the curse of "The Perverted Singularity".

As a responsible adult, married with two children, I long ago stopped thinking of myself in terms of The Perverted Singularity. But I now embrace the label. Who among us can truthfully claim to be pure, lily-white, vanilla, and moral in all aspects of life? Normal? What is normal? So now I foist it on the rest of you.

We are, each of us, a perverted singularity. It's just a matter of degree.

Resources

My web site is http://starship.python.net/~goodger

I'm looking for work. My resume can be found on my web site.

Topic: On Avoiding Being Pigeonholed Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Thoughts on Mobile Code and Licensing

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use